Re: Wipe on poly
- Very interesting Corky. I'm about to close the football on a Prospector made for a charity and will archive this email for reference.
--- In email@example.com, Charles Scott <charles.k.scott@...> wrote:
> I've applied polyurethane spar varnish to my several cedar strip
> canoes a number of times. Mostly I was so unhappy with my results
> that I'd end up letting it cure and then sand it down and try again.
> I tried a number of urethane brands and for the most part, all of them
> ran and dripped equally well.
> I just sold the Winisk to a couple down in Florida and felt I had to
> renew the finish as it has been sitting in the rafters of my car port
> for three years. But I dreaded trying yet again while the temps up
> here in Vermont are not real warm yet. So in desperation I decided to
> try the wiping on method.
> I researched it on the Internet and this is what I learned: Cut the
> urethane by 50% using mineral spirits or whatever the designated
> thinner is, then wipe it on using a clean folded cotton rag.
> I did not begin until I had sanded the hull down using an orbital
> sander and 220 grit sandpaper attached to my shop vac. This took care
> of all the blemishes and drips that bothered me so but that I finally
> tolerated in order to get it on the water three years ago. Then I
> wiped off the hull using clean rags and finally wiped it down with a
> rag damped with mineral spirits.
> I thinned the urethane as suggested, using a graduated quart size
> pail, leaving most of the urethane in the can, and started wiping it
> on. After one coat I was hugely unimpressed. It looked like I had
> done nothing. But one of the benefits with the wipe on method is that
> it covers a lot, quickly, and another that it also dries very quickly.
> So in a couple of hours I got to apply another coat.
> Things looked marginally better than the first coat, but it was
> obvious that it was going to take a LOT of coats using this method.
> Before applying another coat, I hand sanded the hull to remove
> embedded lint. Seeing where I needed to continue to apply the
> urethane became an issue with the fourth coat.
> Once that coat dried it now became obvious that this method was going
> to be phenomenally smooth compared to everything I've tried
> previously. Absolutely no drips or runs. The only negative was that
> each coat was microscopically thin, which meant I had to apply many
> more coats than I ever had before. Also, each rag had to be discarded
> once the day was done. I didn't want to attempt to preserve the used
> rags, I had a large supply.
> So I'm pretty pleased now, it looks like two or three more wiped on
> coats and the new owners should be really happy with it and I will
> have done my best to earn the selling price.
> Corky Scott