Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] (unknown)

  • Charles Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31 12:48 PM
      Hi Michael, I'm still not sure that I understand what you are describing,
      are you telling us that the fiberglass appears to be not fully saturated,
      which would be the case if the fabric appears white or crystalline. But if
      what you are seeing is fully saturated cloth, it's just that the weave is
      still visible, then it just needs a light sanding and another coating of
      resin.

      Corky Scott

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 31, 2013, at 3:01 PM, Michael Agee <michaelagee10@...> wrote:

      Thanks Jim, I'm inclined to believe I have untreatd fiberglass.
      Evreything else is fine, except I can still see the fiberglass. The epoxy
      itself is new and is crystal clear when cured.

    • Carel Ruysink
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
        Even with fresh materials it is possible you can have a result where you see the glass.
        There are so many types of cloth.
        First of all there is the weight of the cloth. In your case I dont know ounce/square foot??? so I will react in general terms
        (when do you americans change completely over to SI, kilometers, meters, newton, kilogram. I stopped bothering and adapting to what your system means in the real world. It may be rocketscience to ordinary people because Nasa uses it but in the end it is a benefit to all. LOL)

        The heavier the cloth the more it will show in the resin, Better use two thin layers tyhan one thick (if visibility is the issieu)
        Then the heavier the single fibres the more they will show as for thicker bundles of fibres.
        Also the kind of weave makes a difference, the smoother and more suple the cloth is the less it will show in the resin.
        Also trapped (even very small) airbubbles will make the weave detectable.
        I allways cover the impregnated cloth on the boat with PE foil to prevent air penetrating trough the cloth (especially when there are folds in the cloth it will try to lift) and also at the ends of the cloth. BTW; this goes only with Epoxy and PE, PE dissolves in polyester.
        Using a foil helps also to reduce the amount of resin needed ( a smoother and thinner layer) and that is good because strength comes from the fibres, not from the resin.

        My advise is to experiment with different types of cloth.

        Succes, Carel.