Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Paint

  • cbp704
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
      Here ya go, I can vouch for these guys:

      http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/boat-paint-varnish-finishing/painting_polyurethanes.html

      Disclaimer: I don't work for them, not even much of a customer, but I've hung out with them and have seen their paint jobs. It seldom gets better, and is the only way I'd go if I ever got the urge to paint over woodwork.

      Ditto on varnish comment; varnish is not primer. Primer is what you should use for primer. The job of primer is to adhere to the substrate tenaciously, and then become itself an excellent - prime - surface for paint to stick to. Paint won't stick to varnish real well, not what varnish is designed for.

      Cheers,
      Kurt Maurer

    • Jim Marco
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
        Jack,
        I agree that varnish is not a mid layer finish. Do not varnish between the epoxy and epoxy paint (my recommendation.) I seem to recall it coming in several colors... It needs to be applied in rather quick stages because it has a short working time once mixed.
        Here is one description...:
        http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/pdf/Epoxy%20Coatings%20Guide.pdf
        There are a lot of colors and varieties out there.
        My thoughts only . . .
        jdm

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2013
          Much thanks to all for the leads and advice. Can't wait to get this project done so I can start the next one!