Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Paint

  • Carel Ruysink
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
      Varnish is "allways" the topfinish. It is not an in between layer.
      If you impregnated the hull with epoxy than do use a 2k epoxy paint and a PU
      varnish to protect the paint from UV.
      A paint for under the waterline is not neccesary. Hardly anybody will leave
      there canoe the year over in the water and need an antifouling.
      Your boat is nearly allways out of the water.
      Actualy any outdoor paint will do but boatpaints are harder, thinner, have
      better gloss and are better UV resistant (and more expensive).

      succes, Carel.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
        Here ya go, I can vouch for these guys:

        http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/boat-paint-varnish-finishing/painting_polyurethanes.html

        Disclaimer: I don't work for them, not even much of a customer, but I've hung out with them and have seen their paint jobs. It seldom gets better, and is the only way I'd go if I ever got the urge to paint over woodwork.

        Ditto on varnish comment; varnish is not primer. Primer is what you should use for primer. The job of primer is to adhere to the substrate tenaciously, and then become itself an excellent - prime - surface for paint to stick to. Paint won't stick to varnish real well, not what varnish is designed for.

        Cheers,
        Kurt Maurer

      • Jim Marco
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
          Jack,
          I agree that varnish is not a mid layer finish. Do not varnish between the epoxy and epoxy paint (my recommendation.) I seem to recall it coming in several colors... It needs to be applied in rather quick stages because it has a short working time once mixed.
          Here is one description...:
          http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/pdf/Epoxy%20Coatings%20Guide.pdf
          There are a lot of colors and varieties out there.
          My thoughts only . . .
          jdm

          I've decided I would like to paint the outside hull of my canoe and leave the cherry trim and inside wood strips "natural". Any suggestions on what paint to use? I've done some research and have seen marine paint listed as "above he water line" and any rated for below was either blue or black, not my choice for color. Also, I assume I would varnish the entire canoe prior to painting the hull; am I right on this?

        • Jack Collingsworth
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19, 2013
            Much thanks to all for the leads and advice. Can't wait to get this project done so I can start the next one!