Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Frustration as high as humidity

  • Anthony Spezio
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2012
      I am lucky in that I can still get around but not as well as when I was in my 70's. The heat is more than I can handle. I don't like the cold either but I can wear more clothes to keep me comfortable. Now if it can be in the 70's all the time, that would be to my liking.
      LOL
      Arkansas Tony

      From: Mike <mailto:naicrafts%40yahoo.com>
      To: mailto:cedarstripcanoes%40yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 6, 2012, 7:13 AM

      My frustration level is rising along with the heat and humidity. I've recovered enough from shoulder surgery enough to work on my canoe which has been waiting for it's finishing touches since last fall. I need 3 more coats of varnish on the outer hull but with the humidity above 70% most days I have not been able to get to it. I've got forms made for my next canoe but can't start it until this one is done. I was hoping to have the new canoe almost finished by now but I'll be lucky to get it glued-up before the cold weather comes. It looks like I may get a couple of days of "dry" weather this week so wish me luck.

      Mean while I've modified an old jet-ski trailer to carry my 19 footer I build a couple of years ago. It was only 12 ft long and low to the ground. So I can't have much hanging over the end. I cut the frame in half and welded 10 ft sections of rectangular tubing between the two sections. Even that has been trouble some as my light duty wire welder keeps over-heating in the 90 degree weather. Get to weld a couple of inches then the arc starts to sputter and I'm done for an hour. Makes for slow work on all fronts.

      Hope every one is surviving the weather and is staying healthy.
      Mike

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2012
        My problem is with the spar varnish. When I apply it on humid days it remains sticky even if I use a heat gun to help dry it. I don't know what you use on the gulf but I'd like to know.
      • cbp704
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2012
          > I don't know what you use on the gulf but I'd like to know.

          All the regular ones. Epifanes. Z-Spar Captain's. Interlux Schooner. Minwax Helmsman. Etc., etc., just the usual stuff. And you can believe it gets applied to boats that are actually IN the water, in marinas, in 99.9% humidity, every day of the week.

          Now, I just happen to be the worst person in the world to ask varnish questions of; I rather need to learn more than I need to teach on this particular subject. But I do know that you should not be having this sort of problem. It's time to call whoever you bought that stuff from and get the straight poop on what's going on. Or failing that, buy new varnish from a new shop that provides excellent service with its products.

          If I were in your pickle, I'd order varnish from Chesapeake Light Craft, and then call 'em on the phone if I had any problems. I happen to know these guys personally, and know for a fact that they'll bend over backwards to help you succeed; but there are plenty of other boat builder supply shops on the web that will just as readily provide excellent service over the phone. They want you to be happy so you'll come back and buy more stuff, that's just how good businesses work. And boat building is a small enough hobby that these places answer the phone in person - real live humans with actual experience/knowledge - since they're often one or two man shops.

          Good luck, hope this helps, please report back when you figure it out.

          Ref:
          http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/marine-paint-varnish/
          http://www.newfound.com/

          Cheers,
          Kurt Maurer
          League City, Texas
          www.sawdustfactory.net

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2012
            I have been wondering about the Varnish. Is it old varnish. I had the same problem with some old varnish that I had for a long time. It looked good in the can and when I applied it but it would not harden.
            Arkansas Tony