Re: Canoe building question

  • sgl1950@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 26, 2011
      I finished my canoe this spring. I used western red cedar for the hull and cherry and maple for the inwales and outwales. Used cherry for the decks also. I put two stripes of walnut with a strip of aspen between for an accent stripe. I live in Evansville and bought my cedar from a local lumber yard. I purchased clear 1x6 lumber. Try Center Heights Lumber on Stringtown Rd. in Evansville. Should be about a 2 hour drive more or less. If I can help in any way just ask. Steve
    • cbp704
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 26, 2011
        One species I don't hear a lot about, but that I have been using more and more of, is basswood. It's inexpensive, lightweight, easy to work, and snow white. That's here in the Houston, Texas area, availability elsewhere may vary.

        Good to see a little traffic on this group once again. Way to stir it up for us, Lionel! :-)

        Cheers,
        Kurt Maurer
        League City, Texas
        www.sawdustfactory.net

        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Lionel Derenoncourt <derenoncourt.lionel@...> wrote:

        > Jim,
        >
        > Thanks for your note. Very reassuring. I have been having problem finding
        > the right wood supply in my area. Have surfed the web, sent out requests
        > for quotes for white cedar before the holidays.
        <snip>
      • Lionel Derenoncourt
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 27, 2011
          Thanks for the information guys. Good to hear that Steve lives closeby in
          Evansville with what must be a beautiful canoe.

          I did not have problem acquiring the red cedar planks. I found an
          aboundance of 1x8 clear ones at my neighborhood Lowes. So I am good with
          that. It is the Northern White cedar that I could not find. Or I found it
          only in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota. I even contacted a major wood
          supplier in St Louis, MO, but they did not got back to me. So now I think
          that with Jim's blessings I may use the aspen instead for the the bottom of
          my canoe. I was checking the wood density and weight scale yesterday and
          found that dried aspen is really close to cedar anyway with a rating of 26
          lbs/cubic foot for white cedar at 22. So that is really not bad. We have a
          Woodcraft store nearby here that has some exotic woods so I will get the
          material for my accents there.

          Thanks a lot guys. I will get back to you as things proceed. I am currently
          spending the holidays in northern California with my in-laws. I will be
          back in Louisville first week of January and will start working on the boat
          in earnest then. I hope to be able to build it over the winter months so to
          enjoy it by late spring and summer. That's the plan. We'll see how it
          materializes.

          Take care.

          Lionel

          --
          *Lionel Derenoncourt*
          Happily Retired

        • steve delacy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
            Lionel:
            I'm from S. E. Michigan. We have very little white cedar in this part of the state but north of Grayling it is very common and available from many mills. A google search should give you several sources. Also a supplier in Coldwater, Mich. . Sorry I do not have his name as I write this.
            I log my supply from a good friends 640 acre Cedar Swamp in the Traverse City area. If you want to make the 10 hour drive, I have some ( 1 x 6 x 17' ) that I cut two years ago on a porta-band, some small knots, 11% moisture, no sap, I can hook you up.

            Steve DeLacy