Re: Canoe building question

  • sgl1950@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 26, 2011
      I finished my canoe this spring. I used western red cedar for the hull and cherry and maple for the inwales and outwales. Used cherry for the decks also. I put two stripes of walnut with a strip of aspen between for an accent stripe. I live in Evansville and bought my cedar from a local lumber yard. I purchased clear 1x6 lumber. Try Center Heights Lumber on Stringtown Rd. in Evansville. Should be about a 2 hour drive more or less. If I can help in any way just ask. Steve
    • Jim Marco
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 26, 2011
        Lionel,
        Yeah, there are no hard and fast rules. Any wood you can work with that is close enough to fulfilling the requirements, is good. Many of the older boats weren't built of cedar. That was only some ideal. Wood is wood, use what is available. Have fun building it. Then sell it or use the heck out of it. Either way it will be your boat, always.
        My thoughts only. . .
        jdm
        James D. Marco
        302 Mary Lane
        Ithaca, NY 14850
        607-273-9132 (land), 607-220-9969(cell)

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 26, 2011
          One species I don't hear a lot about, but that I have been using more and more of, is basswood. It's inexpensive, lightweight, easy to work, and snow white. That's here in the Houston, Texas area, availability elsewhere may vary.

          Good to see a little traffic on this group once again. Way to stir it up for us, Lionel! :-)

          Cheers,
          Kurt Maurer
          League City, Texas
          www.sawdustfactory.net

          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Lionel Derenoncourt <derenoncourt.lionel@...> wrote:

          > Jim,
          >
          > Thanks for your note. Very reassuring. I have been having problem finding
          > the right wood supply in my area. Have surfed the web, sent out requests
          > for quotes for white cedar before the holidays.
          <snip>
        • Lionel Derenoncourt
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 27, 2011
            Thanks for the information guys. Good to hear that Steve lives closeby in
            Evansville with what must be a beautiful canoe.

            I did not have problem acquiring the red cedar planks. I found an
            aboundance of 1x8 clear ones at my neighborhood Lowes. So I am good with
            that. It is the Northern White cedar that I could not find. Or I found it
            only in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota. I even contacted a major wood
            supplier in St Louis, MO, but they did not got back to me. So now I think
            that with Jim's blessings I may use the aspen instead for the the bottom of
            my canoe. I was checking the wood density and weight scale yesterday and
            found that dried aspen is really close to cedar anyway with a rating of 26
            lbs/cubic foot for white cedar at 22. So that is really not bad. We have a
            Woodcraft store nearby here that has some exotic woods so I will get the
            material for my accents there.

            Thanks a lot guys. I will get back to you as things proceed. I am currently
            spending the holidays in northern California with my in-laws. I will be
            back in Louisville first week of January and will start working on the boat
            in earnest then. I hope to be able to build it over the winter months so to
            enjoy it by late spring and summer. That's the plan. We'll see how it
            materializes.

            Take care.

            Lionel

            --
            *Lionel Derenoncourt*
            Happily Retired

          • steve delacy
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 28, 2011
              Lionel:
              I'm from S. E. Michigan. We have very little white cedar in this part of the state but north of Grayling it is very common and available from many mills. A google search should give you several sources. Also a supplier in Coldwater, Mich. . Sorry I do not have his name as I write this.
              I log my supply from a good friends 640 acre Cedar Swamp in the Traverse City area. If you want to make the 10 hour drive, I have some ( 1 x 6 x 17' ) that I cut two years ago on a porta-band, some small knots, 11% moisture, no sap, I can hook you up.

              Steve DeLacy