canoe building question

  • Lionel Derenoncourt
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2011
      Is it ok to place wholes on the periphery of the stations to facilitate
      clamping the stripes to the strong back and mold just like what you do for
      the stems forms? All the molds I see have the holes only on the stems
      sections but not on the other stations themselves. If I don't want to use
      staples clamping the stripes to the stations would be useful.

      --
      *Lionel Derenoncourt*
      Happily Retired

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2011
        I put 1/2 X 1/2 inch cleats on the inside edge of the stations instead of holes.

        Good luck!

        Richard C. Berling
        Madison WI 53714

        On Dec 25, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Lionel Derenoncourt wrote:

        > Is it ok to place wholes on the periphery of the stations to facilitate
        > clamping the stripes to the strong back and mold just like what you do for
        > the stems forms? All the molds I see have the holes only on the stems
        > sections but not on the other stations themselves. If I don't want to use
        > staples clamping the stripes to the stations would be useful.
        >
        > --
        > *Lionel Derenoncourt*
        > Happily Retired

      • Gerald Boucher
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 25, 2011
          Hi Lionel, I used hot glue to secure the strips to the mold.
          Practice with it and it turns out to be quite easy and efficient.
          When done and to remove the molds a firm spank with a mallet releases the
          glue.
          This was the best invention someone else thought of.
          GerryB

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
            Lionel,
            Sure. Building canoes is pretty simple and not rocket science. The major concern is that with thin stations on the form you could introduce some distortion. Keep them well back to leave strength to compensate. At least double the thickness of the station material. Make sure the station are pretty well anchored and you won't have any real problems.
            I think someone had a set of stations which were cut out to form slots along the edges. Seemed to work. But I think those were 3/4" material, too.
            My thoughts only . . .
            jdm
            James D. Marco
            302 Mary Lane
            Ithaca, NY 14850
            607-273-9132 (land), 607-220-9969(cell)

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
              I always enjoy James Marco's posts ....... usually because I thoroughly agree with what he says. And never have I agreed more than with this, his latest utterance -- to wit:

              > Building canoes is pretty simple and not rocket science.

              Yep, that's exactly right.

              You can drill holes, cut slots (say with a router), attach cleats, sink screws (for bungee clamps), or whatever else your imagination may dream up. As James says, the only thing is to make sure the forms stay in 3-D alignment, and remain that way as you build. And there's more good news: the strips add quite a bit of support as they are added, so the critical time for the strongback is in between the time you set it up and have a few courses of strips on. After that it becomes more or less self-supporting.

              But what I can never understand is the current fashion trend of going staple-less in the first place. Staples not only make the job that much easier and faster, but add a lovely touch of depth to the look of the finished product. Heck, I'd be mighty tempted to use staples even if it took longer! I'm serious, I love having the neat little rows of tiny pin-prick holes that bear evidence to how the boat was built ........ lovingly by hand, one piece at a time.

              Cheers,
              Kurt Maurer
              League City, Texas
              www.sawdustfactory.net