Another trip out

  • James D. Marco
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2011
      Hi All,
      Making another trip out this coming week. Like the NFCT trip, I will
      start in Old Forge, NY, but, I am heading up to the St. Regis area.
      My thoughts only . . .
      jdm

      James Marco,
      302 Mary Lane,
      Ithaca, NY 14850
      607-273-9132

    • James D. Marco
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 12, 2011
        Hi All,
        I changed plans due to the weather at the start of the tip. Nimble Weed and
        I made it to Long Lake but we did a yoyo back to Eighth lake rather than continue to
        the St. Regis. Saturday, Sunday and Monday were mostly wet dizzily weather. I
        simply bounced between lean-toos. Tuesday through Saturday was good, though
        cold Wednesday and Thursday night. About a half inch of ice in a bucket on the dock
        at Racquette Lake coming back.
        I saw lots of citters and went through a few beaver dams. Some otter greeted
        me as I turned a corner on Brown's Tract Outlet. I took Nimble Weed up to Bug Lake
        for the extra night, but the loons had left for the coast.
        Anyway, Nimble Weed handled some pretty stiff winds on Racquette. The spray
        soaked me. In the troughs, I could not see the shore line. After turning around one of
        the points, I didn't need to paddle. The wind was pushing me about 5-6 knots! Rather
        than risk a crossing, I camped at Tioga Point for the night. In the morning, there was a
        thick fog. I took a compass bearing from the map and headed out on the calm lake. It
        was kind of eerie paddling in the soup, I could see nothing but the bow and white. I
        missed my mark by about 5 degrees at the end of a mile paddle. The fog started lifting
        as I rounded the point at 0830, so I stopped and got some supplies for the trip back.
        All together, I had a great trip!
        jdm

        Hi All,
        Making another trip out this coming week. Like the NFCT trip, I will
        start in Old Forge, NY, but, I am heading up to the St. Regis area.
        My thoughts only . . .
        jdm

        James Marco,
        302 Mary Lane,
        Ithaca, NY 14850
        607-273-9132

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 12, 2011
          Sounds like a good trip in spite of the weather. It was cold here also, we had to bring our birds in from their summer spot on the porch.
          Have been hearing lots of birds making their way south, still too many leaves on the trees to see them but the colors are great.
          I know what you mean about paddling in the fog. Wrapped in a cocoon and its soooo quite. Great job navigating 5 degrees after a mile in the fog is not too bad, I've done much worse.

          Mike