Glassing over the canoe

  • alanstancombe@btopenworld.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
      I'm sanding down the bottom of my canoe having used polyurethane glue for the strips. There is lots of glue in the gaps which has a honeycomb structure. Does it all need to be removed before epoxying? If so how is it achieved please.
      Thanks
      Alan
    • Charles & Dana Scott
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
        The honeycomb gaps will be visible when you cover the hull with fiberglass.
        So it's up to you if you don't mind seeing them or would rather cover them
        up. You are asking the question so I assume you want to fill them. You can
        fill them by mixing resin with sawdust and squeeging it into the gaps. I'd
        cover the underside with tape so that the resin does not seep through. Make
        the mix thick enough that it does not want to run. Once it's hardened, sand
        smooth and cover with the fiberglass. With luck, you can get the mixture to
        be like the cedar strips.

        Corky Scott

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
          Hi Corky
          Thanks for this. I've had a disaster before with epoxy and ended up having to
          paint the boat. This was really helpful advice.
          Alan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
            Alan,
            Yeah, Corky is good with that stuff. Be aware that the epoxy will tend to tint
            any filler darker. For cedar, this goes from light brown, to very dark brown when
            using sanding dust. Note that it doesn't change color once it has been applied
            whereas cedar will, a shade or two.
            White maple dust, works really well to bring the color back. It sort'a
            depends on the original glue color, too.
            My thoughts only . . .
            jdm
            BTW: Still too bloody cold to work on my own boat...looking at 5F tonight.

            At 10:45 AM 2/21/2011, you wrote:
            >Hi Corky
            >Thanks for this. I've had a disaster before with epoxy and ended up having to
            >paint the boat. This was really helpful advice.
            >Alan
            >

            >________________________________

            James Marco,
            302 Mary Lane,
            Ithaca, NY 14850
            607-273-9132

          • ALAN STANCOMBE
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
              Hi James
              Thanks for your contribution. I think the I will try some colour test on some
              spare timber. I've enclosed some pics of the canoe so far.
              Cheers
              Alan

              ________________________________

              At 10:45 AM 2/21/2011, you wrote:
              >Hi Corky
              >Thanks for this. I've had a disaster before with epoxy and ended up having to
              >paint the boat. This was really helpful advice.
              >Alan
              >

              >________________________________

              James Marco,
              302 Mary Lane,
              Ithaca, NY 14850
               607-273-9132  607-273-9132

            • Gerald Boucher
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                Alan, for the gaps I mixed saw dust and glue and tested for color match.
                Then applied when I was satisfied with the color match.
                Big gaps you can cut and shave a wood piece to fit snugly and glue.
                Good luck

                _____

                I'm sanding down the bottom of my canoe having used polyurethane glue for
                the strips. There is lots of glue in the gaps which has a honeycomb
                structure. Does it all need to be removed before epoxying? If so how is it
                achieved please.
                Thanks
                Alan

                _____

                size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#aca899" align=center>
                No virus found in this message.

              • ALAN STANCOMBE
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                  Gerald
                  Thanks for this. Luckily I haven't got any big gaps but I'll certainly attempt a
                  colour match.
                  Cheers
                  Alan

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                    Alan, you wrote Cheers and 'colour', where are you are? UK

                    _____

                    From: cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                      Hi Gerald
                      Yup - I'm in Leyburn, North Yorkshire. It's in an area known as the Yorkshire
                      Dales, which is absolutely beautiful in summer but not so good in winter. Where
                      are you?
                      Tattybye as some of us say!
                      Alan

                      ________________________________

                      From: cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 22, 2011
                        Alan,
                        I reside in Nashua, New Hampshire, it's ugly here.
                        This morning is 5 degrees (F's) below zero.
                        Snowed yesterday, enough to barely recover the half melted 4 feet of dirty
                        snow.

                        More snow coming.
                        So we think good thoughts of summer and putting our boats around us and
                        sliding out over the water.
                        We could do that now but the water is hard and 2 foot thick.
                        I'll wait

                        Regards,
                        Gerry

                      • James D. Marco
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 22, 2011
                          Hi All,
                          I will be teaching canoe building in the ADK's this summer. For overall design,
                          I have decided on the North West River. But, I am having minor issues with several
                          design parameters with the boat. Overall, I am planning for 5 boats and need to
                          prepare for 40 students. Each class will complete 1 boat. I will have about 30 hours
                          of their time to work with for a total of 240 hours, plus my time, of course.

                          It is wide enough to be stable for the scouts without being overly tubby. But it is
                          slightly too long. I was planning on scaling it down to the required 15'6" length. This is
                          to make the standard 16' lumber work.
                          The rocker is a bit too much for good flatwater performance, so, I was going to
                          reduce this to 1.5" bow and stern.
                          The bow shear is a lot too high at 22". Mostly, it will just catch wind. Soo I will
                          reduce this to 18" bow and 16" stern.
                          The center sheer height is 14". I will reduce this to 13".
                          Tumble home is almost required, since the boys will not have quite reached
                          full growth, high school ages mostly. Fine workmanship is not overly required, since,
                          mostly, I am anticipating they will want some time to try the boat out.
                          At most, there will likely be 1 week time to complete a boat.
                          Any thoughts? All comments are welcome!
                          jdm

                          James Marco,
                          302 Mary Lane,