Re: Hello from Newbie Steve

  • drippy70
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2010
      It was a good year for my canoe building and paddling hobby. I hadn't been out of touch with civilization for two weeks before. Being out of touch didn't hit me until I returned. It was like time fast-forwarded two weeks...anyway, the two weeks flew by.

      Our BWCA trip was relatively free from bugs. I din't use insect repellent anytime during the trip. Weather was more of an issue as we were weather-bound for four days during the trip.

      Some of the guys on this site know that I've only been paddling for a couple years. My needs are evolving in regards to what design my next cedar strip vessel will be. I'd better start looking at boat designs. I'll probably be posting more questions to this group as I figure out what boat to build next.

      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <MikeD952@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      > You must be real happy. Building your own canoe AND two weeks at the BWCA. It's been years (decades) since I've been there. I plan on getting out there again, just need to find a partner for a fall trip. My last trip was a late spring trip, the mosquitoes didn't leave much left after feeding on me.

    • drippy70
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2010
        James,

        I wonder how long that bark canoe will last? I liked how hand tools were exclusively used and how they paddled.

        I've been out of touch with this group for a while as I've been working on putting scratches on my Huron Cruiser. You'll be seeing more from me about my next build project.

        Steve

        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "James D. Marco" <jdm27@...> wrote:

        > Steve,
        > Nice flick on building a canoe. The guy really knows how!
        > Great trip out to the Boundary Waters! One of these days....
        > I am really envious of you, what a beautiful place.
        > jdm
        >
        > At 12:47 AM 11/13/2010, you wrote:
        > >Newbie Steve here. I'm the guy who built the Huron Cruiser this Spring and asked this group many questions along the way. The Huron Cruiser has a beam of 32.5" and I eventually put a middle seat in it. I've been paddling it solo.
        > >
        > >I plan to build a second boat this winter.
        > >
        > >Check out this site and watch the video on building a bark canoe.
        > >
        > >http://www.nfb.ca/film/Cesars_Bark_Canoe/
        > >
        > >It's very interesting!
        > >
        > >By the way, I took a two week wilderness trip in the boundary waters this Fall. To see the trip report go to BWCA.com and look for the trip report by KODA. KODA was my paddling partner on that trip.

        > James Marco,
        > 302 Mary Lane,
        > Ithaca, NY 14850
        > 607-273-9132

      • James D. Marco
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2010
          Steve,
          Well, between the birch bark (the stuff lasts as well as cedar)
          and the cedar, the boat should last a long time. The weakness
          would be the birch thwarts, for rotting. But stored properly in between
          using it, I would guess about a good long time. I believe they wore
          out from abrasion and other damage long before rot set in if they
          were used. I am sure that he could repair it, too.
          I am guessing they weigh a bit. The one he made looked like
          about 70 pounds. Certainly manageable for short hauls.
          Paddling is the nice thing about building boats. I am sort'a glad
          you decided to turn the Huron into a solo, though you could use a
          smaller boat for that. At least you can get out more, not waiting for your
          partner. Scratches aside, using them IS why we build them.
          My thoughts only . . .
          jdm
          At 11:10 AM 11/13/2010, you wrote:
          >James,
          >
          >I wonder how long that bark canoe will last? I liked how hand tools were exclusively used and how they paddled.
          >
          >I've been out of touch with this group for a while as I've been working on putting scratches on my Huron Cruiser. You'll be seeing more from me about my next build project.
          >
          >Steve
          >
          >--- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "James D. Marco" <jdm27@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Steve,
          >> Nice flick on building a canoe. The guy really knows how!
          >> Great trip out to the Boundary Waters! One of these days....
          >> I am really envious of you, what a beautiful place.
          >> jdm
          >>
          >> At 12:47 AM 11/13/2010, you wrote:
          >> >Newbie Steve here. I'm the guy who built the Huron Cruiser this Spring and asked this group many questions along the way. The Huron Cruiser has a beam of 32.5" and I eventually put a middle seat in it. I've been paddling it solo.
          >> >
          >> >I plan to build a second boat this winter.
          >> >
          >> >Check out this site and watch the video on building a bark canoe.
          >> >
          >> >http://www.nfb.ca/film/Cesars_Bark_Canoe/
          >> >
          >> >It's very interesting!
          >> >
          >> >By the way, I took a two week wilderness trip in the boundary waters this Fall. To see the trip report go to BWCA.com and look for the trip report by KODA. KODA was my paddling partner on that trip.

          >> James Marco,
          >> 302 Mary Lane,
          >> Ithaca, NY 14850
          >> 607-273-9132