Re: wood strips?

  • Oldmoore
    Message 1 of 716 , Sep 30, 2001
      If you have a table saw Martin, the only thing
      holding you back from making your own strips, is not
      having bought the lumber yet. <br><br>I can't recommend
      any one blade, but if you get a good quality carbide
      ripping blade, you can't go too far wrong.<br><br>A
      couple of things are recommended for ripping strips
      because they are so flimsy--<br><br>Make yourself a zero
      clearance insert. You can get the info at
      your saw, one for infeed and one to receive the
      strips. Just a 1"x8" on sawhorses, adjusted to the level
      of your table. They should have a rail nailed on at
      least one side to keep the strips from sliding off and
      be lined up with the fence.<br> <br>Definatly use a
      push stick, especially when the plank width is getting
      narrow.<br> <br>Clamp on a fingerboard to help hold the
      material snug against the fence. Wouldn't even hurt to
      have a vertical one clamped to your fence to hold the
      stock down.<br> <br>Use at least 6" wide boards. They
      don't get so narrow so fast, because the last few cuts
      can get a little dicey--so definately use your push
      stick at that point. Try to get knot free stock if you
      can.<br><br>My saw has spring held anti-kickback pawls on the
      splitter. When I'm cutting strips, I tape the inside one
      up, because it's always dropping off the strip and
      binding up the material. I keep the outside pawl active
      until it too starts binding up.<br><br>Don't try to
      feed your stock too fast--listen to the
      blade.<br><br>Happy ripping--Don
      Message 716 of 716 , Mar 24 8:09 AM