Bamboo Frame canoe.

  • Anthony Spezio
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
      Powerfibers, an on line Bamboo Rod makers magazine has an article on making a bamboo frame canoe. check www.powerfibers.com if interested. I have two articles in this issue also.
      Arkansas Tony

    • Rick Stein
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
        Anthony Spezio wrote:

        > Powerfibers, an on line Bamboo Rod makers magazine has an article on
        > making a bamboo frame canoe. check www.powerfibers.com if interested.
        > I have two articles in this issue also.
        > Arkansas Tony

        Thought I would post this link to a friends website where he shows a
        bamboo strip canoe. His stripper canoe, using bamboo strips, is the only
        canoe I'm aware of that has used this material instead of the more
        traditional materials. Tom teaches industrial design at Kansas
        University in Lawrence, KS. He is part sculptor, part furniture maker,
        and very creative.

        http://tomahawkku.wordpress.com/category/furniture/

        Rick

      • Charles & Dana Scott
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
          I've made the inner gunwales from western red cedar in an effort to save
          weight. With my first canoe, which was a 16' 5 inch lake type canoe, I used
          ash for both inner and outer gunwales. This time I'm going for minimum
          weight. I just picked up some ash to use for the outer gunwales, but I'm
          going to sandwich cedar with ash. The ash will be an outer layer. This
          can't help but save weight as the ash is obviously more heavy than the
          cedar.

          I am varnishing the inner gunwales before I glue them up. This allows me to
          take my time and do the job nicely. I'm in no rush, I milled them using a
          3/8" inch round over bit and they look pretty good. I sanded them initially
          and then varnished them and let them dry overnight. Then I sanded them with
          220 grit paper and re-varnished today. I'll apply a third coat and then
          glue them to the hull.

          In the meantime I'm milling out the ash and the western red cedar that will
          be use as the inner portion of the outer gunwales.

        • Anthony Spezio
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
            There was a site where a canoe was made from discarded Bamboo Chop Sticks. Nice looking canoe. I may have it filed somewhere.
            Arkansas Tony

            > Powerfibers, an on line Bamboo Rod makers magazine has an article on

            > making a bamboo frame canoe. check www.powerfibers.com if interested.

            > I have two articles in this issue also.

            > Arkansas Tony

            Thought I would post this link to a friends website where he shows a

            bamboo strip canoe. His stripper canoe, using bamboo strips, is the only

            canoe I'm aware of that has used this material instead of the more

            traditional materials. Tom teaches industrial design at Kansas

            University in Lawrence, KS. He is part sculptor, part furniture maker,

            and very creative.

            http://tomahawkku.wordpress.com/category/furniture/

            Rick

          • Carel Ruysink
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
              I am going to read the coming days(weeks) some articles, must be very interesting but in the meantime iI have a question that may be answered there but may be of a broader interest here to answer in this group.
              Bambou is known to be rather hars on your tools (silica), how do you cope with that?
              For a canoe how would you make the strips? From big poles and feed the strips in a planer? Or how else? Elbowgrease?

              Thanks,
              Curious Carel.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
                I will have time to reply to your questions in a day or two. Will do this off list as not to be posting  Off Topic replies. Looks like you might be from the Netherlands, I have several friends there. Will talk to you off list in a day or two. I have been planing and splitting Bamboo for over 11 years, I think I can  answer your questions. The article was written by a personal friend so I know we can get you the answers.
                Arkansas Tony

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Anthony, Carel and Group -
                  Although i understand the discussion digresses from "cedar strip" i am appreciating the discussion and information on bamboo and would appreciate being copied in the discussion if appropriate.
                  Respectfully and with regards,
                  John
                  Petaluma, CA

                  From: Carel Ruysink <c.ruysink@...>

                  To: cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
                    Much obliged.
                    I think it is not that "off topic". There where other kinds of wood discussed here than "only" cedarstrip.
                    I believe that bamboustrips for a canoe might have a niche of its own.
                    Being a highly resilient material it might be very practical for a canoe in rocky waters (wich I particularly like) and still make a beautiful boat.
                    But if you or the group prefer it off list it is fine to me.

                    And you are spot on. I am from the Netherlands.
                    I paddled many years the Ardennes and the Alps (kevlar canoes and kayaks) but as times go by I take it a lot easier now.
                    Now a canoe for me must by resilient and beautiful too
                    I do have a very beautiful very fast multichine birchply/mahogany canoe but she will not take a lot of punishment, hence these questions.

                    Carel.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
                      A sharp knife will split bamboo into strips. Fresh bamboo splits and bends to shape easily. Very thin strips can be used to lash the bamboo frame in place. Once dry you will have to cut it away though. For thick bamboo (large diameter) I use a machete and tap it down with a small hammer
                      Hayden

                      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "Carel Ruysink" <c.ruysink@...> wrote:

                      > I am going to read the coming days(weeks) some articles, must be very interesting but in the meantime iI have a question that may be answered there but may be of a broader interest here to answer in this group.
                      > Bambou is known to be rather hars on your tools (silica), how do you cope with that?
                      > For a canoe how would you make the strips? From big poles and feed the strips in a planer? Or how else? Elbowgrease?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Curious Carel.

                    • Anthony Spezio
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 4, 2010
                        What are you using the bamboo for that you are splitting. You must have some experience with bamboo.
                        We all have our different ways but I find a dull edge will split better than a sharp knife edge.
                        I have better control with a dull edge.
                        Soaking the strips then heating them makes them very pliable and they can be bent in a circle if need be. I have done this in making trout landing nets with bamboo frames.
                        Arkansas Tony

                        A sharp knife will split bamboo into strips. Fresh bamboo splits and bends to shape easily. Very thin strips can be used to lash the bamboo frame in place. Once dry you will have to cut it away though. For thick bamboo (large diameter) I use a machete and tap it down with a small hammer

                        Hayden

                        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "Carel Ruysink" <c.ruysink@...> wrote:

                        > I am going to read the coming days(weeks) some articles, must be very interesting but in the meantime iI have a question that may be answered there but may be of a broader interest here to answer in this group.

                        > Bambou is known to be rather hars on your tools (silica), how do you cope with that?

                        > For a canoe how would you make the strips? From big poles and feed the strips in a planer? Or how else? Elbowgrease?

                        > Thanks,

                        > Curious Carel.

                      • Anthony Spezio
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 10, 2010
                          Caerl,
                          I have been under the weather so have not done much. I also need to read the whole article, I just scanned over it and read the highlights.
                          Richard is a personal friend that lives 1300 miles from me so I have not seen the canoe but I am sure he will answer any questions you might have. You can contact me off list for his E address..
                          Arkansas Tony

                          From: Carel Ruysink <c.ruysink@...>

                          To: cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com