Still varnishing and polishing

  • Charles & Dana Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2010
      I'm still experimenting with varnishing. Today I examined the last coat and
      deemed it unsatisfactory and sanded it all down to smooth it out and
      vacuumed off the dust, then wiped it down. I'm getting tired of not liking
      the varnishing jobs I'm doing. After spending most of the day sanding, I
      thought about delaying varnishing until tomorrow, but tomorrow is supposed
      to be much cooler than today so even though it was now 3PM, I decided to go
      ahead.

      I have a fresh can of varnish and this time grabbed a foam brush to use
      instead of one with natural bristles. The foam brush was 4 inches across
      which helped make things go quickly. In about 40 minutes I was done and it
      looked pretty good.

      I recently got one of my "working with wood" type magazines and was leafing
      through it this morning during breakfast. In it I was interested to find an
      article on "polishing varnished wood". They were talking about very much
      smaller pieces of wood of course, but here's how it was described: Start
      with 400 grit paper wet sand it down. Switch to 800 grit and wet sand, then
      1000 grit, then 1500. Then get out your polisher and use some fine rubbing
      compound and polish it out.

      Before I sanded down the entire hull again, I experimented on one section of
      it and darned if it didn't work in several ways. 1. Wet sanding with fine
      grit sandpaper didn't seem to dull up the finish that much but it did smooth
      things out very well and also removed any dust or impurities that had
      imbedded in the varnish before it dried. 2. Polishing with the polisher I
      had and the fine grit rubbing compound really shined things up. I could wax
      it the same way.

      So the hull is drying out now, I'll check it in the morning to see if
      another coat is needed. If yes, I will hand sand lightly, just to promote
      bonding of the new varnish. Then I'll final finish it, if necessary, using
      the polishing method. I was sure happy with the look of the hull after it
      was polished.

    • Anthony Spezio
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2010
        Corky,
        Looking at the photos, I like the way the outer stems turned out. I think I will make mine thicker than I planned on doing.
        I use Finesseit 2 to polish out the bamboo rods I make.
        Arkansas Tony