Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Re: Nimble Weed 12'6"

  • James D. Marco
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 7 3:07 AM
      Horse?? I would rather get her a new pair of shoes....
      Anyway, we only rent here...someday we will be moving,
      after the wife retires....Alaska or the middle of the
      Adirondack's(ADK's.) I grew up around Booneville,
      NY and Corbet, NY(Catskill's, my grandparents farm
      was on the Delaware river)...still miss the north
      country...

      Anyway, my mother had a pacemaker put in yesterday, soo
      no work on the boat...

      At 11:46 AM 4/6/2010, you wrote:

      >Pick up the wife could you not get here a horse,
      >Graeme.
      >--- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "James D. Marco" <jdm27@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi all,
      >> OK, The hull faired pretty well, once I moved the station on the form.
      >> I laid a couple strips in, getting ready to lay the rest. Over this week, I hope
      >> to get the rest of the strips on, but it is tough at a couple hours per day.
      >> Semi-retired is not all it is cracked up to be. After I get home and
      >> eat lunch, on get about 2 hours to work on the boat before I have to go
      >> pick up the wife, again. Still, at 2 hours per day, I should be done by the
      >> week end. I hope the epoxy and fiberglass get here by then.
      >> jdm

      James Marco, Computer Operations Manager & Desktop Support
      Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and, Biomedical Engineering Departments
      B59 Olin Hall, Cornell University
      Ithaca, NY 14853 Office Phone: 607-255-7312

    • James D. Marco
      Message 41 of 41 , May 21, 2010
        Hi All,
        Since the wet down, I have made the needed mods to the
        boat and completed it.
        1) Twisting in winds
        Solved by adding thwarts.
        3 UL thwarts were used. 3oz, 5oz and 2oz respectively.
        The center thwart is also used as the seat back.
        2) Added front and rear hand grips (~1oz each)
        3) Added a seat back frame (9 strips, plus screws ~ 4oz)
        My sleeping pad will serve as a seat cushion. 4 layers
        of interlocking foam, about 2 1/2" total thickness. One layer
        of foam is flipped up for the seat back, 5 layers total. No
        weight is added here since the cushion doubles as a sleeping
        pad.
        4) Added another layer of fiberglass to the bottom center
        More to help take up any wear, scratching, etc (~14"x9'6"
        at about 12oz including epoxy.) It will also add some stiffness.
        5) Varnished the boat (about a 1/2 pint of spar varnish...more
        for UV protection. Calling this ~3oz)
        6) Added 1/8" rope(with the center strands drawn out) skid plates
        at about 1/2oz
        7) Added a front & rear spray deck out of PU coated nylon at
        10oz (including mounting hardware - aluminum & nylon straps.)

        I was going to modify the tarp for spray decks, but started worrying
        about safety. The extra material, guy lines, tie-offs, etc started to look like
        catches and a general annoyance. Better to have them specific to the
        boat, in the case of a rollover.

        Soo, for all the additions and mods, the weight adds about
        2#7-1/2. The total weight was ~21 1/4 pounds. Sorry, I don't have an
        accurate scale in that range so this will vary a bit, +- 1/2 pound.
        I finished the paddle. 8' 2-1/2", a hollow cedar shaft wrapped in
        fiberglass, touring blades at 18"x6-3/4". It weighs 27oz.
        So, including the life vest, the whole outfit for the Northern Forest
        Canoe Trail weighs <25 pounds. This is the allotted weight. Next week
        end, I will off on the trail for about 5 weeks. I do not like the thought of
        being in Black Flies for the first week or two... I should be back sometime
        in July.
        My thoughts only . . .