RE: [Cedar Strip Canoes] entry ladder for dogs

  • Charles & Dana Scott
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 12, 2010
      Hi Mike, I’m thinking this may be something not discussed previously in the
      group. I have a question for you: Are you expecting the dog to swim up to
      the canoe and climb up the ramp with it (the extended part of the ramp) not
      touching the bottom of the river or lake?

      If you will be maneuvering close enough to the shore such that when you put
      the ramp out it will touch bottom, then I’d suggest that you hinge the top
      of the ramp to a couple of pieces of wood that have slots cut in them such
      that they fit over the gunwale. You flip out the ramp, drop the slots over
      the gunwale and the dog walks up and in. You might consider carpeting the
      surface so that the dog can get a grip, or just attaching cross pieces on
      top of ¼ inch plywood.

      Once the dog is in the canoe, dealing with removing the ramp and storing it
      with your 70 lb dog shaking in your face might be interesting…

      Corky Scott

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 13, 2010
        Some good questions Corky, It is quite possible the ladder/ramp will not be touching bottom. Which will make balancing the canoe interesting. It also makes the design a bit more complex as some sort of support will be needed between the ramp and the side of the canoe to reduce the strain and twisting of the gunwale and to keep the ramp at an angle.
        I'm figuring the ramp will need to be about 3 to 3.5ft long to allow the dogs hind legs purchase. If I'm balancing the canoe I'll not be able to assist pulling the dog up much. With that length the ramp will need to be fold-able for storage.
        The ramp will also need to be placed where the seats are as I'm usually loaded with gear.

        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "Charles & Dana Scott" <charles.k.scott@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mike, I'm thinking this may be something not discussed previously in the
        > group. I have a question for you: Are you expecting the dog to swim up to
        > the canoe and climb up the ramp with it (the extended part of the ramp) not
        > touching the bottom of the river or lake?
        >

        > If you will be maneuvering close enough to the shore such that when you put
        > the ramp out it will touch bottom, then I'd suggest that you hinge the top
        > of the ramp to a couple of pieces of wood that have slots cut in them such
        > that they fit over the gunwale. You flip out the ramp, drop the slots over
        > the gunwale and the dog walks up and in. You might consider carpeting the
        > surface so that the dog can get a grip, or just attaching cross pieces on
        > top of ¼ inch plywood.
        >

        > Once the dog is in the canoe, dealing with removing the ramp and storing it
        > with your 70 lb dog shaking in your face might be interesting…
        >

        > Corky Scott
        >

        > _____

      • David E. Birren
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 14, 2010
          Better teach the dog to climb a ladder before trying it in the water. You
          want the animal to respond calmly, rather than flailing about, possibly
          getting its legs caught between the rungs.

          Dave

          <charles.k.scott@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike, I'm thinking this may be something not discussed previously in
          the
          > group. I have a question for you: Are you expecting the dog to swim up
          > the canoe and climb up the ramp with it (the extended part of the ramp)
          not
          > touching the bottom of the river or lake?
          >

          > If you will be maneuvering close enough to the shore such that when you
          put
          > the ramp out it will touch bottom, then I'd suggest that you hinge the
          top
          > of the ramp to a couple of pieces of wood that have slots cut in them
          such
          > that they fit over the gunwale. You flip out the ramp, drop the slots
          over
          > the gunwale and the dog walks up and in. You might consider carpeting
          the
          > surface so that the dog can get a grip, or just attaching cross pieces
          on
          > top of ¼ inch plywood.
          >

          > Once the dog is in the canoe, dealing with removing the ramp and storing
          it
          > with your 70 lb dog shaking in your face might be interesting…
          >

          > Corky Scott
          >

          > _____

        • MeDave

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 15, 2010
              I've never heard of it, but I don't claim supreme knowledge of all things
              dog and canoe.

              By the way, all work on my Freedom 15 has come to a screeching halt for the
              moment, for a very sentimental reason. Our 14 and a half year old yellow
              lab had to be put down last week, and after opening the outside door since
              then, and anticipating hearing her scrambling to go with me, but not being
              there, we bowed to our heavy hearts and found a 9 week old golden retriever.
              She is unbelievably cute and needs to be close ALL the time. We've had her
              one day and one night and I have only been able to walk out to the shop for
              several minutes at a time. My wife teaches so the dog is my responsibility,
              since I was laid off from work last April, and she REALLY wants human
              companionship all the time. As I write this, she is literally curled around
              my feet. If I were to sit on the floor, she'd climb into my lap and fall
              asleep, or drape her head over my thigh, and fall asleep. Between sleeping
              sessions, she has enough energy to run my shop.

              Corky Scott

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 15, 2010
                Corky,

                Sorry to hear about your lab and congrats on the puppy. My wife is a veterinarian and we've had our share of rescued animals. Dogs don't live nearly long enough for as important as they become to us. The good thing is that canoes and dogs are very compatable. I began paddling 17 months ago and my dog Drippy was in my first canoe the second time I paddled it. Since then I've paddled at least 100 times and I can count the times she hasn't been on board on just one hand.

                I have a new dog story...My dog Drippy is afraid of loud noises and since I live in the country with a shooting range 1.2 miles away she sometimes gets scared and if we're out walking she'll head for home and hide under the pickup or by the back door until I return. We happened to be out walking between the second and third coats of epoxy on my build project and I had left the shop door open to clear the air. Drippy headed for home, found the shop door open and chose to wait for me in the shop under the canoe we had just epoxied. I guess you can imagine what happened as she collected half cured epoxy everywhere. She didn't seem to mind that her toes were epoxied together and her chest hair became part of her new chest armor. This happened on a Saturday and the following day we went paddling. She didn't go swimming to test out her new webbed toes. On Monday my wife took her to work and removed the epoxy coating. I now have a bare-chested dog....It didn't seem too funny at the time.

                Newbie Steve

                Corky, what's the puppy's name?

                --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "Charles & Dana Scott" <charles.k.scott@...> wrote:

                > I've never heard of it, but I don't claim supreme knowledge of all things
                > dog and canoe.
                >

                > By the way, all work on my Freedom 15 has come to a screeching halt for the
                > moment, for a very sentimental reason. Our 14 and a half year old yellow
                > lab had to be put down last week, and after opening the outside door since
                > then, and anticipating hearing her scrambling to go with me, but not being
                > there, we bowed to our heavy hearts and found a 9 week old golden retriever.
                > She is unbelievably cute and needs to be close ALL the time. We've had her
                > one day and one night and I have only been able to walk out to the shop for
                > several minutes at a time. My wife teaches so the dog is my responsibility,
                > since I was laid off from work last April, and she REALLY wants human
                > companionship all the time. As I write this, she is literally curled around
                > my feet. If I were to sit on the floor, she'd climb into my lap and fall
                > asleep, or drape her head over my thigh, and fall asleep. Between sleeping
                > sessions, she has enough energy to run my shop.
                >

                > Corky Scott
                >

                > _____

              • James D. Marco
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 16, 2010
                  Corkey,
                  My condolences. They really become a part of your life.
                  Labs really love water, maybe a lab powered canoe to burn off
                  all the pup's energy?
                  jdm

                  At 02:32 PM 3/15/2010, you wrote:
                  >I've never heard of it, but I don't claim supreme knowledge of all things
                  >dog and canoe.
                  >

                  >By the way, all work on my Freedom 15 has come to a screeching halt for the
                  >moment, for a very sentimental reason. Our 14 and a half year old yellow
                  >lab had to be put down last week, and after opening the outside door since
                  >then, and anticipating hearing her scrambling to go with me, but not being
                  >there, we bowed to our heavy hearts and found a 9 week old golden retriever.
                  >She is unbelievably cute and needs to be close ALL the time. We've had her
                  >one day and one night and I have only been able to walk out to the shop for
                  >several minutes at a time. My wife teaches so the dog is my responsibility,
                  >since I was laid off from work last April, and she REALLY wants human
                  >companionship all the time. As I write this, she is literally curled around
                  >my feet. If I were to sit on the floor, she'd climb into my lap and fall
                  >asleep, or drape her head over my thigh, and fall asleep. Between sleeping
                  >sessions, she has enough energy to run my shop.
                  >

                  >Corky Scott

                • Charles & Dana Scott
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 16, 2010
                    We've tended to name our dogs after personality traits, or physical
                    appearance, and that often takes a little while to see. Our first dog was
                    named "Roxy" because she had a face like a Raccoon (Rocky Raccoon, but she
                    was a she, hence Roxy). Then there was "Miner" that was a lab black like
                    coal and loved digging like a miner. Then "Daisy" our beloved dog who just
                    got put down, who as a pup sat in a patch of Daisies, chomping on them. Our
                    Golden Retriever needs to be close to one of us at all times, so "Wrapper",
                    for the way she's always wrapping around our feet, or "Glue" or "Cinnamon",
                    for her color, or "Tawny" for the same reason. But after two days with us,
                    I named her "Lilly", which works in many ways. She's unbelievably sweet,
                    like a Lilly, and I hope that she will enjoy being out on the water like a
                    water Lilly. She's also our "Lilly of the Valley". So Lilly it is.

                    Corky Scott

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 16, 2010
                      Lilly rhymes with "Silly" and labs can be silly at times so it fits. My dog Drippy was named Drift because she outstayed her welcome in four foster homes before we got her, you might say she was a drifter. It's difficult to say Drift through dental braces so her name became Drip or Drippy.

                      Good luck to Lilly. She's lucky to live with a paddler.

                      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "Charles & Dana Scott" <charles.k.scott@...> wrote:

                      > We've tended to name our dogs after personality traits, or physical
                      > appearance, and that often takes a little while to see. Our first dog was
                      > named "Roxy" because she had a face like a Raccoon (Rocky Raccoon, but she
                      > was a she, hence Roxy). Then there was "Miner" that was a lab black like
                      > coal and loved digging like a miner. Then "Daisy" our beloved dog who just
                      > got put down, who as a pup sat in a patch of Daisies, chomping on them. Our
                      > Golden Retriever needs to be close to one of us at all times, so "Wrapper",
                      > for the way she's always wrapping around our feet, or "Glue" or "Cinnamon",
                      > for her color, or "Tawny" for the same reason. But after two days with us,
                      > I named her "Lilly", which works in many ways. She's unbelievably sweet,
                      > like a Lilly, and I hope that she will enjoy being out on the water like a
                      > water Lilly. She's also our "Lilly of the Valley". So Lilly it is.
                      >

                      > Corky Scott
                      >

                      > _____

                    • David E. Birren
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 17, 2010
                        Corky, thanks for sharing about Daisy. I suspect she was well-loved.

                        Interesting naming ideas. My dog Coda was the last puppy from the last
                        litter of a long breeding program my wife began 25+ years ago. (The coda is
                        the closing phrase of a complex musical score.) My other dog Zubi was named
                        for the Russian word for "teeth" - which distinguished him as a puppy. Lily
                        is a sweet name.

                        Dave

                        <charles.k.scott@...> wrote:

                        > We've tended to name our dogs after personality traits, or physical
                        > appearance, and that often takes a little while to see. Our first dog
                        was
                        > named "Roxy" because she had a face like a Raccoon (Rocky Raccoon, but
                        she
                        > was a she, hence Roxy). Then there was "Miner" that was a lab black like
                        > coal and loved digging like a miner. Then "Daisy" our beloved dog who
                        just
                        > got put down, who as a pup sat in a patch of Daisies, chomping on them.
                        Our
                        > Golden Retriever needs to be close to one of us at all times, so
                        "Wrapper",
                        > for the way she's always wrapping around our feet, or "Glue" or
                        "Cinnamon",
                        > for her color, or "Tawny" for the same reason. But after two days with
                        us,
                        > I named her "Lilly", which works in many ways. She's unbelievably sweet,
                        > like a Lilly, and I hope that she will enjoy being out on the water like
                        > water Lilly. She's also our "Lilly of the Valley". So Lilly it is.
                        >

                        > Corky Scott
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Ron Niklasson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 19, 2010
                          sorry to be so slow in posting to this thread. Thought you all would like a laugh. We have a new Australian shepherd about 8 months old now. we also have a two year old granddaughter and we live on a small farm. we couldn't help ourselves when we named the  dog... " there was a farmer, had a dog and .... Bingo was his name-0....."  the grand daughter loves the name, the song and of course the dog.

                          Ron
                          loved reading about all the dogs.