Re: Gorilla or Contact Cement for strip joints?

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 7, 2009
      Actually, it makes wonderful sense-at least on the outside, especially at the bilge turn. The glue joint is right where you are going to be taking off material to fair the hull, so any gouges (if not deep) are a bonus. Inside- not so much, especially at the bilge turn as minimum sanding is at the joint. A scraper might be better there.

      Tim Greiner

      --- Kurt Maurer wrote:

      > Jim Fox sez: "It is fun though try slipping the excess off with a chisel
      > when the glue is leathery."
      >
      > This must be one of those places where the written word can come across
      > a little less clearly than intended. My radar picked up this: using a
      > chisel sounds like a great way to accidentally dig in and do some
      > frustrating damage to the woodwork. But when Jim says it's fun, I can
      > dig it; makes things a lot clearer to me. Tells me it works pretty darn
      > good, and I aim to try it next time.
      >
      > --
      > Cheers,
      > Kurt Maurer
      > League City, Texas

    • Kurt Maurer
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 8, 2009
        Ol' Jim and I are just gettin' on like a couple of long-lost twins or
        something. I 100% agree on his sharp tools comment.

        --
        Cheers,
        Kurt Maurer
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 9, 2009
          I concur. My 6 year old got told off at school for complaining about the lack of sharp knives to cut fruit in class. They gave her bendy plastic ones. Apparently she was grumbling "how can you expect us to do a proper job if you don't give us proper tools
          Hayden

          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Maurer <NGC704@...> wrote:

          > Ol' Jim and I are just gettin' on like a couple of long-lost twins or
          > something. I 100% agree on his sharp tools comment.
          >
          > --
          > Cheers,
          > Kurt Maurer
          > League City, Texas

        • Jim Fox
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 9, 2009
            When my son was around three, he wanted to help me in the shop, so I taught him how to use a chisel to trim off the ends of the dowels I used to pin certain joints. His mother about had a heart attack when he showed her how sharp his tools were. People get hurt most often and do the most damage to wood with dull tools. Sharper is safer all the way around. He's twenty three now and still has all nine fingers.

            I concur. My 6 year old got told off at school for complaining about the lack of sharp knives to cut fruit in class. They gave her bendy plastic ones. Apparently she was grumbling "how can you expect us to do a proper job if you don't give us proper tools

            Hayden

            --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, Kurt Maurer <NGC704@...> wrote:

            > Ol' Jim and I are just gettin' on like a couple of long-lost twins or

            > something. I 100% agree on his sharp tools comment.

            > --

            > Cheers,

            > Kurt Maurer

            > League City, Texas

          • gyipee
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 10, 2009
              Hi Nine fingers did he give you one,,
              I remember doing my woodwork O grade at school and putting the chisel through the wood into my finger and bleeding all over my work I think they took pity on me and passed me, as it was the only pass I got at skool,
              Bogsdolics.