Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Staple-less Building

  • Jim Fox
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
      Anyone ever tried using contact cement?

      --- On Fri, 12/4/09, alan gearhart <finewood58@...> wrote:

      From: alan gearhart <finewood58@...>
      Subject: Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Staple-less Building
      To: cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, December 4, 2009, 5:58 AM

      Sorry Tony I attached to this email but it did not go I,ll try responding directly. As for stapleless that is all I do! and My last kayak won best in it's class at The Georgetown Wooden Boat Show in Oct. I.m a cabinet builder by trade and holes just don,t get it with me. Alan

      ____________ _________ _________ __
      From: alan gearhart <finewood58@ yahoo. com>
      To: cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, December 3, 2009, 7:35 PM

      Here is a pic of what we call doodads they work great with rubber bands. I make them so if you need some let me know

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
        There is also a nice short article in Wooden Boat number 202, june 2008 on page 33-35 using monofilament fishingline worth reading.

        Carel.

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
          Jack-

          That looks interesting. My concern would be whether it would provide enough pressure on the strip to keep it pushed against the station mold, especially when you have turned the bilge and the push of the strips together tends to lift them from the station. They would certainly be a quick way to pull a couple recalcitrant strips together if they had a gap between stations.

          Nice that Woodenboat is making these available.

          Here's another I found-

          http://www.woodenboat-digital.com/woodenboat/20070910/?noli=1&

          I thought Moore advocated cove up to hold the glue better- maybe I'm wrong.

          Tim Greiner

          Jack wrote:

          > I've been lurking here for a while. There was a recent discussion on building without staples. I found this article on an online issue of woodenboat magazine I thought to share with ya'll:
          >
          > http://www.woodenboat-digital.com/woodenboat/20060102/
          >
          > page 62 is an article showing how with a jig. Move in a couple of pages to the table of contents and click the article.
          >
          > Ya'll let me know how it goes. I'm not quite ready to start.
          >
          > Jack
          > Austin

        • Anthony Spezio
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2009
            Alan,
            I did get it in the other E mail, Thanks I now have it filed.
            Tony

            From: alan gearhart <finewood58@ yahoo. com>

            To: cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com

            Date: Thursday, December 3, 2009, 7:35 PM