Cedar canvas canoes

  • mrfxsit
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2009
      Hi all
      I am new to the group and am interested in getting any information on cedar canvas canoe restoration. I have a 17 foot Chestnut canoe. It was given to me as part payment for building a deck many years ago. I have done extensive research on this boat online. When I got the canoe I was told it was a square stern (transome had been replaced and very poorly done I might add) and the canvas had been stripped off of it. Whoever had replaced the transome way back when had taken two pices of scrap wood and joined them with steel mending plates then fiberglassed over the wood and the canvas...by doing this all they managed to do was hold the water in between the canvas, wood and fiberglass. I removed this scabbed in mess and started to remove other pieces that were messed up. But as is usually the case the project took a back burner to lifes other priorities. Now I am ready to return to it but am in need of more info on how to go about it. I have done extensive research on these canoes and to my delight I tripped over a site online that told me exactly what it is that I have (only thing I havent been able to pin down is a year) as it turns out it is not a square stern but a Y stern. Which from what I am seeing and hearing is somewhat rare. This only made me more anxious to get started on it again. Any information that I can get on doing this would be greatly appreciated. I do have some ideas some of which would probably be frowned upon by the purists out there but what can you do lol. Ok I am getting a little long winded here so I will leave it at that.

      Thanks for reading.
      Dave
    • naicrafts
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2009
        Dave,
        A good place to start is http://www.wcha.org/ (Wooden canoe heritage Assoc). They have a listing of people who repair, restore and build wooden canvass canoes along with articles dealing with all aspects of old wooden canoes. Lots of history and knowledge to be had.
        Most of the builders listed are happy to talk or have you come by for a visit.
        Mike