Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] My Strip Building Web Site

  • Anthony Spezio
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 10, 2009
      Jim,
      Their web site is www.systemthree.com. I can get you more info if you need it. They are real good for info and a booklet comes with the Epoxy that covers a lot of things I can't remember the ladies name right off hand, she is very helpful and pleasant to talk to.
      Another thing I like about it, you can apply the second coat within seven hours without sanding first. I did find you can sand the seams in 24 hours without having the Epoxy "roll" under the sandpaper. I have worked a lot with fiber glass and am really pleased with this resin.
      Corky, You mention building an airplane. I have built two planes, a Baby Ace and the Original (Tuholer), Spezio Sport. Also repaired a lot of  fiberglass wheel pants and cowls
      Will contact you off list about airplanes. Would like to know what you built.
      Arkansas tony

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 10, 2009
        Jim,
        My first three canoes were Redwood and the forth was Cypress. # 5 will be white Ceder and the rest of the Redwwood I have left from the other canoe projects. I am lucky, my redwood strips are 21' long and the Ceder is 18' long, no splices as we had with the Cypress.
        On the Resin, another thing I liked about it was no strong oder. and a long working time.
        I will be posting finished photos of the Cypress Canoe, check out Cypress Canoe in the photo section.
        Arkansas Tony

        From: Anthony Spezio <bambotony@yahoo. com>

        To: cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com

        Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 2:31 PM

        I used Polyester Resin on the first three I built and did it by myself. It was a job but they did come out real well. On the 4 th one last fall, I used Clear Coat Epoxy from System 3. That is the way i will go from now on. It had lots of working time and leveled out real smooth. Will be starting on # 5 in a few weeks

        Arkansas Tony

        Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 11:38 AM

        MW,

        I had whole lotta fun doi>ng the carpentry on my stripper but just hated the fiberglassing part. Word of advice; get a couple people to help because it does dry too fast & do it in a well lit area so you can spot the drips.

        Good luck. Hope you have a better fiberglass experience than mine.

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        From: Anthony Spezio <bambotony@yahoo. com>

        From: The Wolff Den <onebadscooter@ yahoo.com>

        To: cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com

        Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:53 PM

        Actually, I'm in the process of completing my first strip canoe and I didn't use the bead and cove edges. (my first wood strip was built by Gene Jensen, he didn't mess with those router bits so I figured I didn't need 'em either) My hull is all glued up and I spent about two hours over the weekend making expensive cedar sawdust with a random orbital sander on the wife's new solo canoe yesterday. It's looking better and better.

        Kurt, tell me about using a heat gun to aid in bending those troublesome transitional strips, I didn't think of trying that, might have been a lot of help. I ended up piecing a couple together that snapped when tried to bend them a bit too much....

        Cutting the strips and gluing up the hull went much better than I expected and I did learn a bunch that I could improve upon for the second boat. I'm sort of fretting over the fiberglass though, seems like a lot of resin has to be worked in a short timeframe... .

        Thanks, MW

      • Jim Fox
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 10, 2009
          I was able to by 20 ft redwood for the same price as shorter lengths. It's an 18 ft boat so it should be seamless. We'll see. I'm not sure about accent woods. I was toying with using walnut and then thought that maybe just the ash trim would be enough.

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 11, 2009
            --- You wrote:
            Corky, You mention building an airplane. I have built two planes, a Baby Ace and the Original (Tuholer), Spezio Sport. Also repaired a lot of  fiberglass wheel pants and cowls
            Will contact you off list about airplanes. Would like to know what you built.
            Arkansas tony
            --- end of quote ---

            Hi Tony, we've spoken in this group about this before. I was building a Christavia Mk 4. I did not finish it though, sold it to an A&P in Florida who wanted something already well along in construction as he was 65 and did not think he had a "from scratch" project left in him. Turns out, my wife could not fly due to ear problems so spending the money on finishing it did not make any sense. I had the tube fuselage welded up, had built up a Ford V6 engine with a Northwest Aero PSRU, had an Ivo Prop for it. I had built a test stand and had run the engine for a few hours or so with the prop bolted on. Almost blew down our car port. ;-) Had attached some Piper Tripacer landing gear and had fabricated all control surfaces. Also had finished the wings to the point where I was ready to cover them. One of the projects where when it looks like you are about finished, you still have 90% of the work left to do...

            Corky Scott
          • Kurt Maurer
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 11, 2009
              > Will contact you off list about airplanes. Would like to know what
              you built.
              > Arkansas tony

              Shoot, go ahead and tell us here -- evidently there are a few airplane
              builders here as well. I designed and built competition 3-meter R/C
              sailplanes, and am a life-long aviation enthusiast.
            • Anthony Spezio
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 11, 2009
                Ok here goes, I have been an Airplane nut since I could remember. Started build model airplanes when I was 7 years old. Am 79 now.. Sold all of my spark plug engines to a collector several years ago, still have a few glow plug engines. Worked as an  aircraft mechanic for many years repairing and rebuilding airplanes. Also flew as a commercial pilot.Was on a B 26 flight crew in the Air Force. Started flying at the age of 16 and had my license at the age of 17 have a land and seaplane rating..  My flying ended in 1988 with heart problems.
                Got back into fly fishing fly tying and making bamboo rods from scratch. Was tying fishing flies at the age of 15. Been making hand planed bamboo fly rods for 10 years.
                I flew for a WW1 air show for a season flying several WW 1 airplanes, like the Rumpler, Fokker Triplane, The Reno Caliberi, Eindiker, BE 2 C and several others. I have also flown about 23 Experimental type airplanes and a number of antique planes.
                Check out tuholer.com to see a bit about one of the planes I designed and built.
                It is a folding wing two place open cockpit sport plane. I built it in 1959 to 19 61. Made the first flight in 1961 and flew it for 16 years before selling it to buy a place in Vermont. It is now located in Utah with some damage when a hanger was blown down by a tornado last year. It is presently being rebuilt. It was flown for 47 years before the damage.
                Arkansas Tony

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 11, 2009
                  --- You wrote:
                  I flew for a WW1 air show for a season flying several WW 1 airplanes, like the Rumpler, Fokker Triplane, The Reno Caliberi, Eindiker, BE 2 C and several others.
                  --- end of quote ---

                  The only place I know of that flies original WWI airplanes, with their original engines, is Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck NY. Was this were you were flying those things?

                  Corky Scott
                • Anthony Spezio
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 11, 2009
                    Corky,
                    My memory fades I now remember you telling me the name of the plane but not all the details..
                    Thanks for waking me up. I have had a couple of strokes this past year and my short term memory is really bad, I see the word "Airplanes" and I get all fired up.
                    Thanks for the reminder.
                    I have flown behind several auto engines including the flat head Ford V 8 in an old Ford Biplane.
                    tony

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 11, 2009
                      No, we had a show in South Jersey for a season till some of the planes were busted up by inexperienced pilots..(Tail skids and no breaks) Insurance problems ended to show the following year, I was invited to fly at Rinebeck and had been there several times. It was just too far to travel for me. I kind of regret not accepting the offer.
                      Arkansas Tony

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 12, 2009
                        The rest of y'all, please forgive us a minute . . . we'll be done
                        shortly. Thank you. :-)

                        Tony, there's an All-Purpose Paddler's Motto that I really take to
                        heart, and invoke right now, goes like this: "I get there eventually."
                        In other words, Oh man, THAT Spezio!! Holy moley, I've been familiar
                        with your Two-Holer since I was a kid. This is like having a bona fide
                        legend among us! If you ever come to the Houston-Galveston area just let
                        me know and I'll give you the VIP tour of the Lone Star Flight Museum.
                        I'll make sure you'll be able to climb aboard and sit in all the
                        cockpits and make airplane noises, and man the guns and go
                        eh-eh-eh-eh-eh at the tourists.

                        Gotta scoot right now, the Collings Foundation is in town. Yipee!

                        Cheers,
                        Kurt Maurer
                        League City, Texas
                      • Anthony Spezio
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 12, 2009
                          Kurt,
                          I hope to get down that way. I have a sister that lives in Houston but is only there in the winter time. I also get invitations to tie flies as a featured tyer at one of the fly fishing shows there in January. Will contact you off list.
                          To keep this canoe related, I will be starting on my next canoe in April. This will be # 5 and it will have a fancy feature strip like arrows. I have the featured strips  already made, glued all the small pieces together to form a strip. There will be two strips one over the other to form light and dark arrows. I am just concerned that I might not be able to form them into the bend I want without breaking at the glue joints.The 45* angles are just butt glued.  I might have to put them in straight and not curve them up at the stems.
                          Arkansas Tony