Re: cedar strip canoe without some strips

  • Tim Greiner
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 2:04 AM
      Chip-

      Posting a picture in the photos section would certainly help. Whether
      it is epoxy or canvas on the outside makes a big difference as a
      repair on epoxy involving strip replacement will probably be obvious
      despite good workmanship. Whether or not you have internal ribs makes
      a difference, they make the repair more difficult but hide it better
      on the inside. If it is epoxy on the outside, you could canvas over
      the entire outside to hide the repair, at more expense. In any case,
      lots of phone calls to local marinas and boatyards is the way to find
      a person capable of repairing it, and the price.

      Tim Greiner

      --- Chip wrote:

      > Just joined the group. I am frantically trying to close a deal on a
      > Pasquinel canoe that has damage in one are with the cedar strips
      removed. I
      > can get the boat for $400 but might have to pay an expert to fix
      it. Can I
      > get some quick advise on the difficulty of that repair, worth of
      this boat
      > and referral to people that could provide a good fix. I have
      picture of the
      > boat that I can send along.
      > Thanks for any quick response as I have told the guy I would tell
      him
      > something today.
      >
      > Chip
      > Windsor, NC

    • Mike Cohoon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 6:47 AM
        I would check with American traders they are the USA distributer or check with the builder
        http://www.canotspasquinel.lamauricie.qc.ca/ You will find their phone number on the website

        Mike

        --- Chip wrote:

        > Just joined the group. I am frantically trying to close a deal on a

        > Pasquinel canoe that has damage in one are with the cedar strips

        removed. I

        > can get the boat for $400 but might have to pay an expert to fix

        it. Can I

        > get some quick advise on the difficulty of that repair, worth of

        this boat

        > and referral to people that could provide a good fix. I have

        picture of the

        > boat that I can send along.

        > Thanks for any quick response as I have told the guy I would tell

        him

        > something today.

        > Chip

        > Windsor, NC

      • Marc Ornstein
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 12:26 PM
          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, chip <czulli@...> wrote:

          > Just joined the group. I am frantically trying to close a deal on a
          > Pasquinel canoe that has damage in one are with the cedar strips
          removed. I
          > can get the boat for $400 but might have to pay an expert to fix it.
          Can I
          > get some quick advise on the difficulty of that repair, worth of
          this boat
          > and referral to people that could provide a good fix. I have
          picture of the
          > boat that I can send along.
          > Thanks for any quick response as I have told the guy I would tell
          him
          > something today.
          >
          > Chip
          > Windsor, NC

          Any of these canoes that I have seen have been built in the style of
          traditional wood and canvas boats, except that the exteriors are
          covered with fiberglass and epoxy resin in place of canvas. Repair of
          damaged planks is possible/practical along with repair of the
          fiberglass/epoxy sheathing. Repairs can be done neatly however they
          will likely show due to darkening of the original wood etc. A proper
          repair may require removal of and re-fiberglassing the entire hull.
          This would add considerably to the time/cost factor but MAY be the
          only way to avoid the ugly "patch" look.

          Marc Ornstein
          Dogpaddle Canoe Works
          Custom Paddles and Cedar Strip Canoes
        • daytonphoto
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2 10:55 AM
            --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, chip <czulli@...> wrote:

            > Just joined the group. I am frantically trying to close a deal on a
            > Pasquinel canoe that has damage in one are with the cedar strips
            removed. I
            > can get the boat for $400 but might have to pay an expert to fix it.
            Can I
            > get some quick advise on the difficulty of that repair, worth of
            this boat
            > and referral to people that could provide a good fix. I have
            picture of the
            > boat that I can send along.
            > Thanks for any quick response as I have told the guy I would tell him
            > something today.
            >
            > Chip
            > Windsor, NC

            Hi
            I am a member of a canoe club in Dayton, Ohio with several members who
            own wood canvas canoes. In discussions with them I have been told that
            replacing the painted canvas with epoxied canvas is an ireversible
            process that will diminish the value of the canoe. I would try to find
            someone who could replace the canvas traditionally
            and see if that is within reason first

            Robert
            Dayton, Oh.
          • Marc Ornstein
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2 1:29 PM
              --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "daytonphoto"
              <daytonphoto@...> wrote:

              > --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, chip <czulli@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just joined the group. I am frantically trying to close a deal on
              > > Pasquinel canoe that has damage in one are with the cedar strips
              > removed. I
              > > can get the boat for $400 but might have to pay an expert to fix
              it.
              > Can I
              > > get some quick advise on the difficulty of that repair, worth of
              > this boat
              > > and referral to people that could provide a good fix. I have
              > picture of the
              > > boat that I can send along.
              > > Thanks for any quick response as I have told the guy I would tell
              him
              > > something today.
              > >
              > > Chip
              > > Windsor, NC

              > Hi
              > I am a member of a canoe club in Dayton, Ohio with several members
              who
              > own wood canvas canoes. In discussions with them I have been told
              that
              > replacing the painted canvas with epoxied canvas is an ireversible
              > process that will diminish the value of the canoe. I would try to
              find
              > someone who could replace the canvas traditionally
              > and see if that is within reason first
              >
              > Robert
              > Dayton, Oh.

              Robert,
              If the boat is in otherwise good condition, re canvasing is the
              preferred choice. The cost difference between a quality re canvas job
              and going the fiberglass route should be similar, considering both are
              done by a professional. Of course, either can be done as a do it
              yourself project as well.

              The advice that a glass/epoxy job is irreversible is essentially
              correct. It is possible to grind off glass/epoxy but it is very time
              consuming, tricky, expensive and there are health concerns if the dust
              is not carefully contained etc.

              I hope this helps.

              Marc Ornstein
              Dogpaddle Canoe Works
              Custom Canoe Paddles and Cedar Strip Canoes