[Cedar Strip Canoes] Re: Kipawa or Mattawa models?

  • also.great
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
      Tony...reference your post below....I'm assuming your using the DIY
      plan....thats what I'm going to use....I downloaded it, blew it up a
      little and started making patterns....BUT...here's my question...In
      looking at the mold frames it looks as though they have mismarked the
      pattern for Frame 5 and Frames 4 & 6...in other words it looks as
      though the Frame pattern for #5 is really the pattern for #'s 4 &
      6....did you encounter this problem....Harv

      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Spezio
      <bambotony@...> wrote:

      > I have built three "Redwood Canoes" in years past and we are
      finishing up another one now with some minor changes.
      > It is a very stable canoe. It can be built in the 16' version or a
      13' version. Would be glad to send you some photos. There are a few on
      the photo page. It may not be at all what you would want. It is a flat
      water canoe.

    • Anthony Spezio
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
        Harv,
        Back in the 70's these plans along with the same photos were in Mechanics Illustrated, it was called the MI Redwood Canoe. This is where I first came across strip built canoes. Now that you mention it, I remember something being wrong in the drawings from the magazine. At that time, you could send for the full size form drawings for 5.00. This is what I used for my forms that I still have. I still have the original full size patterns but the material they were made on is really deteriorated.. I will look over the DIY info and compare them with my originals. Maybe I can trace patterns of the full size originals I still have and make you a set. The canoe we built two months ago is just about ready to launch. It just needs another coat or two of varnish. I have started the feature strips for my canoe, we should start on the canoe next week.We are building two of them. As I mentioned before, my first one was totaled in a tornado after we moved to Arkansas 14
        years ago
        Will be glad to send you some photos of the one we just built. There are a few in the photo section on the group page..
        The one we built two months ago is the fourth one I have built from my forms. One was the 13' version, it was not as stable as the 16' version. It was used as a two man canoe but was better as a one man canoe. The 16' version was as stable a canoe that I have ever used. My wife myself and three kids would use it on the creeks and lakes in South Jersey about every weekend for a number of years.
        Arkansas Tony

        <jahoove@ > wrote:

        > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

        > > wrote:

        > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

        wonder if

        > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

        been in

        > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

        > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

        makes

        > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

        > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

        > > > Thank you,

        > > > Vann Evans

        > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

        > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

        > > Campin? Racin?

        > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

        > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

        > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

        > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

        > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

        > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

        > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

        > virtually the same otherwise.

        > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

        > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

        > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

        > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

        > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

        > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

        > having trouble findiing the right design.

        > Thanks for any help or ideas.

        > Vann evans

      • whvreeland
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
          On Nov 8, 2008, at 10:20:14 AM, "Anthony Spezio" <bambotony@...>
          wrote:
          n it, I remember something being wrong in the drawings from the
          magazine. At that time, you could send for the full size form drawings
          for 5.00. This is what I used for my forms that I still have. I still
          have the original full size patterns but the material they were made
          on is really deteriorated.. I will look ov

          Fellow boat builders,
          I also built the MI redwood canoe in the 70's. As this was my first
          strip built, I trusted the plans. The canoe had a slight but
          discernible coke bottle shape. The next strip boat I built was a
          Martin Trainer. I spent many hours with a proper batten tacked in many
          different locations and angels, making slight corrections with a
          shallow block plane until in every location it was "eye sweet". That
          was well worth the effort. The shape was as near perfect as possible.

          Good Luck,
          Bill

        • Harvey
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
            Don't trace the patterns yet....I think I've got it figured out...will tweek them as I mount them....but I would really like to see the pictures....especially in progress pictures.....Interested in the bow section....still not 100% sure on the bow and how its formed.....where do you live in Ark....I'm in Hartshorne, OK about 80 mi from Ft Smith....thanks for the response....Harv

            <jahoove@ > wrote:

            > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

            > > wrote:

            > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

            wonder if

            > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

            been in

            > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

            > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

            makes

            > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

            > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

            > > > Thank you,

            > > > Vann Evans

            > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

            > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

            > > Campin? Racin?

            > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

            > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

            > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

            > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

            > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

            > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

            > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

            > virtually the same otherwise.

            > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

            > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

            > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

            > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

            > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

            > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

            > having trouble findiing the right design.

            > Thanks for any help or ideas.

            > Vann evans

          • Anthony Spezio
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
              Harv.
              Will send the setting up and the last photos with the Gunwals and scuppers off list. The canoe was moved from from my house to my friends house in Louisiana for the final finishing.
              My wife's relatives are from Hartshorne, more on that off list. We are about three hours from the Okla. state line in the Bull Shoals lake area. More on that off list.
              On the stems, we added  Ash outer stems on the last one built will send photos. Did not do that on the others. I like the looks of the outer stem. I feel the inner stem can be made a lot narrower in width than the plans show..This canoe also has scuppers between the inner and outer gunwals, not in the plans along with plastic Rattan seats shaped different than the plans. It is more traditional. I am just finishing up the double strip feature strips that will form light and dark arrows. These are 5'"strips cut at a diagonal   from Light Cedar and Redwood glued diagonal to diagonal  using one strip inverted over the other to form the arrow..The canoe will be a combination of light Cedar and Redwood.
              I made the inner stems by gluing two pieces of pine for the others on this one I will be building, two 3/4" pieces of Cypress together. to make 1 1/2 inch thick piece. Cut out the shape of the stem Scribe reference line down the middle of the front edge. Using a belt sander, sand the taper from the back edge to the front as a flat taper. I use the belt sander to rough it then finish with a hand plane using a straight edge to check for a flat surface from front to back. Will send photos of making mine. I left the front edge 1/4" wide instead coming to a knife edge. That 1/4" plus the 1/4" strips terminating there will give me 3/4" for gluing the outer stem. See the photos I will be sending
              Will be glad to have you visit if you plan on a trip out this way.
              Arkansas Tony

              <jahoove@ > wrote:

              > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

              > > wrote:

              > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

              wonder if

              > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

              been in

              > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

              > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

              makes

              > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

              > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

              > > > Thank you,

              > > > Vann Evans

              > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

              > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

              > > Campin? Racin?

              > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

              > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

              > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

              > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

              > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

              > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

              > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

              > virtually the same otherwise.

              > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

              > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

              > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

              > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

              > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

              > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

              > having trouble findiing the right design.

              > Thanks for any help or ideas.

              > Vann evans

            • Anthony Spezio
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                Bill,
                Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.
                Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the canoe.
                This will help make the lines a lot smoother.
                Arkansas Tony

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                  HEY  GUYS,,,  i  made  that  canoe  in the  70's
                  made it  a  18  footer  and  very wide,,,  actually  it was a  sportsman  with a  small  tansom for  a  1 1/2 hp outboard,,, if i remember  the bow  was  tapered  to meet  the strips  just nailed and  glassed,,,,, the canoe  didnt  get a  good  workout,,,lol too many beers and  to close  the campfire an  unintended  viking  funeral,,,, indianabob  grower  of fine  weeds and a few  hostas

                  <jahoove@ > wrote:

                  > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

                  > > wrote:

                  > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

                  wonder if

                  > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

                  been in

                  > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

                  > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

                  makes

                  > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

                  > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

                  > > > Thank you,

                  > > > Vann Evans

                  > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

                  > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

                  > > Campin? Racin?

                  > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

                  > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

                  > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

                  > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

                  > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

                  > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

                  > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

                  > virtually the same otherwise.

                  > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

                  > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

                  > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

                  > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

                  > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

                  > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

                  > having trouble findiing the right design.

                  > Thanks for any help or ideas.

                  > Vann evans

                • bojag2000
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                    --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Spezio <bambotony@...> wrote:
                    >Tony,
                    You are right, bevelling the edges of the forms helps alot and the batten tells how much.
                    The other thing I did was to make a sanding fixture. It was about 2 ft long piece 1 X 3, or
                    so. At each end was another piece of 1x3 about 2 X 3 inches. From the raised up end
                    pieces I attached piece of stainless steel shim stock. I'm guessing it was 0.020 in thick,
                    flexible enough to follow the curves, but not the bumps. I bought a very large roll of
                    adhesive back sand paper from the automotive paint supply store. So now, there is a
                    large, wide sandpaper fiddle bow. Long, diagonal strokes over the outside curves made
                    them perfect. I still have a life time supply of sand paper, which is good as I just started a
                    fiberglass kit car!

                    have fun,
                    Bill

                    > Bill,
                    > Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.
                    > Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the
                    canoe.
                    > This will help make the lines a lot smoother.
                    > Arkansas Tony

                  • bojag2000
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Spezio <bambotony@...> wrote:
                      >Tony,
                      Almost forgot, if you are at the automotive paint supply store, buy a large sanding board.
                      They work on inside and outside curves.
                      Bill

                      > Bill,
                      > Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.
                      > Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the
                      canoe.
                      > This will help make the lines a lot smoother.
                      > Arkansas Tony

                    • Anthony Spezio
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                        Bill,
                        I ordered one and they were out of stock. I have one on back order.
                        Thanks
                        Tony

                        Almost forgot, if you are at the automotive paint supply store, buy a large sanding board.

                        They work on inside and outside curves.

                        Bill

                        > Bill,

                        > Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.

                        > Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the

                        canoe.

                        > This will help make the lines a lot smoother.

                        > Arkansas Tony

                      • Anthony Spezio
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                          Bill, all good tips to post, I have the sandpaper, three inches wide. Now I am waiting on the flexable board. I may just have to make one as you did.