Kipawa or Mattawa models?

  • vannevans
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 13, 2008
      I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and wonder if
      anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have been in
      contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that
      has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also makes
      both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from
      anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

      Thank you,
      Vann Evans
    • jahoove
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 13, 2008
        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "vannevans" <vannevans@...>
        wrote:

        > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and wonder if
        > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have been in
        > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that
        > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also makes
        > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from
        > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Vann Evans

        In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I
        would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?
        Campin? Racin?
      • vannevans
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 14, 2008
          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "jahoove" <jahoove@...> wrote:

          > --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and wonder if
          > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have been in
          > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that
          > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also makes
          > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from
          > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Vann Evans
          > >
          > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I
          > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?
          > Campin? Racin?

          It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.
          We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping
          and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to
          paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the
          contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with
          high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa
          because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is
          virtually the same otherwise.

          I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows
          anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar). My wife and I are
          both avid paddlers with over 25 years of
          experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo
          and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper
          for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just
          having trouble findiing the right design.

          Thanks for any help or ideas.
          Vann evans
        • Tim Greiner
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 14, 2008
            Vann-

            Just because the plans show upswept ends doesn't mean that you have
            to put strips there. I built the "Huron Cruiser" from Ted Moores'
            Canoecraft and modified it a couple of ways- stretched it 1' from the
            center to the bow, and lowered the sheer at the ends to get the
            contemporary look. My strips on the sheer were wider (1") so worked
            well as a "batten" to keep the sheer fair. I made sure both sides
            were the same and it turned out fine. I have about 4" rise at the bow
            and 3" stern above the sides. Just make sure the ends look like you
            want when the upper part is left off.

            Tim Greiner

            >>snip<<
            > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to
            > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the
            > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with
            > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa
            > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is
            > virtually the same otherwise.
            >
            > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows
            > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar). My wife and I
            are
            > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of
            > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater,
            solo
            > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a
            stipper
            > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just
            > having trouble findiing the right design.
            >
            > Thanks for any help or ideas.
            > Vann evans

          • Anthony Spezio
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 14, 2008
              I have built three "Redwood Canoes" in years past and we are finishing up another one now with some minor changes.
              It is a very stable canoe. It can be built in the 16' version or a 13' version. Would be glad to send you some photos. There are a few on the photo page. It may not be at all what you would want. It is a flat water canoe.
              You might check it out.
              http://diyfiles.com/redwood.html
              Arkansas Tony

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 15, 2008
                --- You wrote:
                Vann-

                Just because the plans show upswept ends doesn't mean that you have
                to put strips there. I built the "Huron Cruiser" from Ted Moores'
                Canoecraft and modified it a couple of ways- stretched it 1' from the
                center to the bow, and lowered the sheer at the ends to get the
                contemporary look. My strips on the sheer were wider (1") so worked
                well as a "batten" to keep the sheer fair. I made sure both sides
                were the same and it turned out fine. I have about 4" rise at the bow
                and 3" stern above the sides. Just make sure the ends look like you
                want when the upper part is left off.

                Tim Greiner
                --- end of quote ---

                This is a nice response Tim, it exemplifies the homebuilt, willing to modify nature of this group.

                Corky Scott
              • djohnson450@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 15, 2008
                  I built a Kipawa a number of years ago.   It is a great canoe that handles well when loaded.  Without a 100 pounds or so of cargo it seems to set too high in the water, is a bit squirlly, and doesn't track well.  If you want a canoe for day trips I would choose a boat with less volume.  It is also a canoe for the more experienced paddler since it the hull is fairly round, which can lead to instability with a novice paddler.

                  DavidJ

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 17, 2008
                    Thanks David for that information. I was initially concerned about
                    the Kippawa's volume and size. The length and width seemed over sized
                    for what I was looking for. I contacted Martin Step at Green Valley
                    Boatworks. We talked about the mattawa, but it is the same width and
                    shape, just a foot shorter. I am also looking at the Freedom 15 from
                    Bearmountain boats. do you know of anything else that is similar??
                    Thanks,
                    Vann Evans

                    --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, djohnson450@... wrote:

                    > I built a Kipawa a number of years ago.   It is a great canoe that
                    handles well when loaded.  Without a 100 pounds or so of cargo it
                    seems to set too high in the water, is a bit squirlly, and doesn't
                    track well.  If you want a canoe for day trips I would choose a boat
                    with less volume.  It is also a canoe for the more experienced
                    paddler since it the hull is fairly round, which can lead to
                    instability with a novice paddler.

                    > DavidJ

                  • also.great
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                      Tony...reference your post below....I'm assuming your using the DIY
                      plan....thats what I'm going to use....I downloaded it, blew it up a
                      little and started making patterns....BUT...here's my question...In
                      looking at the mold frames it looks as though they have mismarked the
                      pattern for Frame 5 and Frames 4 & 6...in other words it looks as
                      though the Frame pattern for #5 is really the pattern for #'s 4 &
                      6....did you encounter this problem....Harv

                      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Spezio
                      <bambotony@...> wrote:

                      > I have built three "Redwood Canoes" in years past and we are
                      finishing up another one now with some minor changes.
                      > It is a very stable canoe. It can be built in the 16' version or a
                      13' version. Would be glad to send you some photos. There are a few on
                      the photo page. It may not be at all what you would want. It is a flat
                      water canoe.
                      > You might check it out.
                      > http://diyfiles.com/redwood.html
                      > Arkansas Tony

                    • Anthony Spezio
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                        Harv,
                        Back in the 70's these plans along with the same photos were in Mechanics Illustrated, it was called the MI Redwood Canoe. This is where I first came across strip built canoes. Now that you mention it, I remember something being wrong in the drawings from the magazine. At that time, you could send for the full size form drawings for 5.00. This is what I used for my forms that I still have. I still have the original full size patterns but the material they were made on is really deteriorated.. I will look over the DIY info and compare them with my originals. Maybe I can trace patterns of the full size originals I still have and make you a set. The canoe we built two months ago is just about ready to launch. It just needs another coat or two of varnish. I have started the feature strips for my canoe, we should start on the canoe next week.We are building two of them. As I mentioned before, my first one was totaled in a tornado after we moved to Arkansas 14
                        years ago
                        Will be glad to send you some photos of the one we just built. There are a few in the photo section on the group page..
                        The one we built two months ago is the fourth one I have built from my forms. One was the 13' version, it was not as stable as the 16' version. It was used as a two man canoe but was better as a one man canoe. The 16' version was as stable a canoe that I have ever used. My wife myself and three kids would use it on the creeks and lakes in South Jersey about every weekend for a number of years.
                        Arkansas Tony

                        <jahoove@ > wrote:

                        > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

                        > > wrote:

                        > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

                        wonder if

                        > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

                        been in

                        > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

                        > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

                        makes

                        > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

                        > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

                        > > > Thank you,

                        > > > Vann Evans

                        > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

                        > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

                        > > Campin? Racin?

                        > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

                        > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

                        > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

                        > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

                        > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

                        > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

                        > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

                        > virtually the same otherwise.

                        > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

                        > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

                        > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

                        > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

                        > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

                        > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

                        > having trouble findiing the right design.

                        > Thanks for any help or ideas.

                        > Vann evans

                      • whvreeland
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                          On Nov 8, 2008, at 10:20:14 AM, "Anthony Spezio" <bambotony@...>
                          wrote:
                          n it, I remember something being wrong in the drawings from the
                          magazine. At that time, you could send for the full size form drawings
                          for 5.00. This is what I used for my forms that I still have. I still
                          have the original full size patterns but the material they were made
                          on is really deteriorated.. I will look ov

                          Fellow boat builders,
                          I also built the MI redwood canoe in the 70's. As this was my first
                          strip built, I trusted the plans. The canoe had a slight but
                          discernible coke bottle shape. The next strip boat I built was a
                          Martin Trainer. I spent many hours with a proper batten tacked in many
                          different locations and angels, making slight corrections with a
                          shallow block plane until in every location it was "eye sweet". That
                          was well worth the effort. The shape was as near perfect as possible.

                          Good Luck,
                          Bill

                        • Harvey
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                            Don't trace the patterns yet....I think I've got it figured out...will tweek them as I mount them....but I would really like to see the pictures....especially in progress pictures.....Interested in the bow section....still not 100% sure on the bow and how its formed.....where do you live in Ark....I'm in Hartshorne, OK about 80 mi from Ft Smith....thanks for the response....Harv

                            <jahoove@ > wrote:

                            > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

                            > > wrote:

                            > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

                            wonder if

                            > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

                            been in

                            > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

                            > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

                            makes

                            > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

                            > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

                            > > > Thank you,

                            > > > Vann Evans

                            > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

                            > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

                            > > Campin? Racin?

                            > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

                            > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

                            > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

                            > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

                            > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

                            > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

                            > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

                            > virtually the same otherwise.

                            > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

                            > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

                            > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

                            > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

                            > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

                            > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

                            > having trouble findiing the right design.

                            > Thanks for any help or ideas.

                            > Vann evans

                          • Anthony Spezio
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                              Harv.
                              Will send the setting up and the last photos with the Gunwals and scuppers off list. The canoe was moved from from my house to my friends house in Louisiana for the final finishing.
                              My wife's relatives are from Hartshorne, more on that off list. We are about three hours from the Okla. state line in the Bull Shoals lake area. More on that off list.
                              On the stems, we added  Ash outer stems on the last one built will send photos. Did not do that on the others. I like the looks of the outer stem. I feel the inner stem can be made a lot narrower in width than the plans show..This canoe also has scuppers between the inner and outer gunwals, not in the plans along with plastic Rattan seats shaped different than the plans. It is more traditional. I am just finishing up the double strip feature strips that will form light and dark arrows. These are 5'"strips cut at a diagonal   from Light Cedar and Redwood glued diagonal to diagonal  using one strip inverted over the other to form the arrow..The canoe will be a combination of light Cedar and Redwood.
                              I made the inner stems by gluing two pieces of pine for the others on this one I will be building, two 3/4" pieces of Cypress together. to make 1 1/2 inch thick piece. Cut out the shape of the stem Scribe reference line down the middle of the front edge. Using a belt sander, sand the taper from the back edge to the front as a flat taper. I use the belt sander to rough it then finish with a hand plane using a straight edge to check for a flat surface from front to back. Will send photos of making mine. I left the front edge 1/4" wide instead coming to a knife edge. That 1/4" plus the 1/4" strips terminating there will give me 3/4" for gluing the outer stem. See the photos I will be sending
                              Will be glad to have you visit if you plan on a trip out this way.
                              Arkansas Tony

                              <jahoove@ > wrote:

                              > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

                              > > wrote:

                              > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

                              wonder if

                              > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

                              been in

                              > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

                              > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

                              makes

                              > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

                              > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

                              > > > Thank you,

                              > > > Vann Evans

                              > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

                              > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

                              > > Campin? Racin?

                              > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

                              > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

                              > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

                              > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

                              > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

                              > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

                              > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

                              > virtually the same otherwise.

                              > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

                              > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

                              > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

                              > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

                              > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

                              > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

                              > having trouble findiing the right design.

                              > Thanks for any help or ideas.

                              > Vann evans

                            • Anthony Spezio
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                                Bill,
                                Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.
                                Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the canoe.
                                This will help make the lines a lot smoother.
                                Arkansas Tony

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                                  HEY  GUYS,,,  i  made  that  canoe  in the  70's
                                  made it  a  18  footer  and  very wide,,,  actually  it was a  sportsman  with a  small  tansom for  a  1 1/2 hp outboard,,, if i remember  the bow  was  tapered  to meet  the strips  just nailed and  glassed,,,,, the canoe  didnt  get a  good  workout,,,lol too many beers and  to close  the campfire an  unintended  viking  funeral,,,, indianabob  grower  of fine  weeds and a few  hostas

                                  <jahoove@ > wrote:

                                  > > --- In cedarstripcanoes@ yahoogroups. com, "vannevans" <vannevans@>

                                  > > wrote:

                                  > > > I am trying to decide which model to build as a stripper and

                                  wonder if

                                  > > > anyone has any experience with either of these models. I have

                                  been in

                                  > > > contact with Martin Step about them , but can't locate anybody that

                                  > > > has either one. I understand that Swift Canoe co in Canada also

                                  makes

                                  > > > both of them in fiberglass and kevlar. I would love to hear from

                                  > > > anyone that has any experience or knowldge about either model.

                                  > > > Thank you,

                                  > > > Vann Evans

                                  > > In what kind of water would ye be navigatin? If it be whitewater I

                                  > > would avoid a stripper altogether. Would it be fishin? Travelin?

                                  > > Campin? Racin?

                                  > It definitely would be flatwater only-we have several whitewater canoes.

                                  > We would use it for general cruising, birdwatching, occasional camping

                                  > and touring. I am looking for a contemporary canoe that is easy to

                                  > paddle, fast and attractive. I like the appearance of the

                                  > contemporary canoe as opposed to the more traditional canoe with

                                  > high, upswept ends. I am particularly interested in the Mattawa

                                  > because it is shorter(15'8" versus 16'8") even though the design is

                                  > virtually the same otherwise.

                                  > I would love to see or paddle either one if anyone has one or knows

                                  > anyone that might(stripper or fiberglass/kevlar) . My wife and I are

                                  > both avid paddlers with over 25 years of

                                  > experience each-we both teach paddling(whitewater and flatwater, solo

                                  > and tandem).I am an avid woodworker and have wanted to build a stipper

                                  > for a long time. I am committed to building a stripper. I am just

                                  > having trouble findiing the right design.

                                  > Thanks for any help or ideas.

                                  > Vann evans

                                • bojag2000
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                                    --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Spezio <bambotony@...> wrote:
                                    >Tony,
                                    You are right, bevelling the edges of the forms helps alot and the batten tells how much.
                                    The other thing I did was to make a sanding fixture. It was about 2 ft long piece 1 X 3, or
                                    so. At each end was another piece of 1x3 about 2 X 3 inches. From the raised up end
                                    pieces I attached piece of stainless steel shim stock. I'm guessing it was 0.020 in thick,
                                    flexible enough to follow the curves, but not the bumps. I bought a very large roll of
                                    adhesive back sand paper from the automotive paint supply store. So now, there is a
                                    large, wide sandpaper fiddle bow. Long, diagonal strokes over the outside curves made
                                    them perfect. I still have a life time supply of sand paper, which is good as I just started a
                                    fiberglass kit car!

                                    have fun,
                                    Bill

                                    > Bill,
                                    > Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.
                                    > Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the
                                    canoe.
                                    > This will help make the lines a lot smoother.
                                    > Arkansas Tony

                                  • bojag2000
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                                      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Spezio <bambotony@...> wrote:
                                      >Tony,
                                      Almost forgot, if you are at the automotive paint supply store, buy a large sanding board.
                                      They work on inside and outside curves.
                                      Bill

                                      > Bill,
                                      > Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.
                                      > Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the
                                      canoe.
                                      > This will help make the lines a lot smoother.
                                      > Arkansas Tony

                                    • Anthony Spezio
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                                        Bill,
                                        I ordered one and they were out of stock. I have one on back order.
                                        Thanks
                                        Tony

                                        Almost forgot, if you are at the automotive paint supply store, buy a large sanding board.

                                        They work on inside and outside curves.

                                        Bill

                                        > Bill,

                                        > Thanks for the  tip, that is what I plan on doing with this next one.

                                        > Another suggestion on the forms is to bevel the edges going to the narrow end of the

                                        canoe.

                                        > This will help make the lines a lot smoother.

                                        > Arkansas Tony

                                      • Anthony Spezio
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                                          Bill, all good tips to post, I have the sandpaper, three inches wide. Now I am waiting on the flexable board. I may just have to make one as you did.