Re: what is the best glue to use for canoe building?

  • Craig Addis
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2008
      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "tonymeurett"
      <tonymeurett@...> wrote:

      > with all the new glues available today such as titebond 3 and gorilla
      > glue and other polyurethanes, what is the best to use? epoxies in
      > todays world in most situations aren't as good?

      Just a couple of additions to the excellent advice here. For the
      strips, Titebond Original and Titebond II are quite good but most other
      carpenter's glue is fine. The coating is really the waterproofing and
      the glue will provide much more strength the the Cedar itself has. I
      tend to prefer the more "brittle" glues (Titebond Original, for
      example) as it doesn't gum up sandpaper as bad. Still you should have
      removed most of the glue during the fairing process so it shouldn't be
      an issue.

      There was a discussion recently regarding the ability to repair this
      type of construction. In particular, the bond strength of things like
      Titebond II and III to themselves was brought into question. Just
      something to think about...

      PU and Epoxy for bonding that needs to be water-resistant/proof.
    • Tim Greiner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
        Tony-

        In addition to the excellent advice you have gotten- Gorilla glue
        should not be used where it will be in constant contact with water. It
        is water "resistant" rather than "proof" and will eventually fail if
        immersed. Another factor is looks- it 'foams' to fill gaps and this can
        be unsightly, especially compared with epoxy that has had wood flour
        added to color match.

        Tim Greiner

        --- Tony Meurett wrote:

        > with all the new glues available today such as titebond 3 and gorilla
        > glue and other polyurethanes, what is the best to use? epoxies in
        > todays world in most situations aren't as good?

      • Jeffrey Hoover
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
          I have used Gorilla Glue on gunwales but found that it did not have a lot of shear strength after I did some more testing. I love the Gorilla Glue on odd surfaces such as glass, steel, & stone but would not use it on any fine woodworking again. Instructions say that you don't want to clamp your pieces too tight so as not to squeeze all the glue out of the joint That's probably what happened when the joint sheared on my test piece. No way I would lightly clamp a wookworking project for any kind of glue. Maybe I'm just old fashion.
          One thing that threw me when selecting glue for the decking, gunwales, seats, & such is that all of these glues are not fully waterproof as Tim noted. If they were then they would state that they could be used "below the waterline". I researched some real waterproof glue & found it to be pretty rare. It is a super specialty glue found at boat yards and would be totally unnecessary for a fiberglassed stripper.
          Elmer's Ultimate is the same as Gorilla Glue. Behaves exactly the same but cheaper. Says that it is 100% Waterproof so if you love your Gorilla Glue you can use this instead. I like the Titebond 3 which acts like carpenters glue.
          0----- Original Message ----