Plotters --- Pen VS Ink Jet ?

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2008
      is anyone using pen plotters to loft lines any more ... I have a chance
      to buy a pen plotter for 50 bucks and wonder what people are using
      these days. any pros and cons for either?
    • Tim Greiner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2008
        Greg:

        I do engineering/design drafting as my vocation, for the last ten
        years all of the full size plotters have been inkjet. This is why you
        can get the excellent price on the pen type. The inkjets are
        basically big printers, so the maintenance is low.

        Pens disappeared due to having to mess with cleaning them daily. If
        you let them set more than a day they can dry up and never get the
        ink out of them. Some have one-use throw-away pens available, these
        may be the best solution for you if you never want to clean pens.

        That said, if you just want occasional use for mold pieces, etc. they
        plot fine. Check and see if software drivers are available, otherwise
        it is an anchor.

        Tim Greiner