Re: mould making project

  • Craig Addis
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2007
      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "jollytanaka"
      <jollytanaka@...> wrote:

      > I ran across a book a couple of years ago that details how to quickly
      make a canoe much like
      > the way you are describing making a plug. The book is called "
      Building Your Kevlar Canoe:
      > A Foolproof Method and Three Foolproof Designs." (I just checked,
      and it is available
      > through Amazon.com).
      >
      > -Jeff-

      Jeff's comments ring true. Don't forget that if you're using
      commercial patterns, they may need to be cut down by a uniform amount
      to account for the thickness of the plug materials that exceed the
      original pattern size.
    • Tim Greiner
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2007
        Ian:

        In the "Building Your Kevlar Canoe: A Foolproof Method and Three
        Foolproof Designs" book mentioned, the author (Jim Moran, to my
        recollection) does describe either using the foam/plaster/paraffin
        male mold to either build a single canoe OR as the basis of a female
        mold. He describes the mold-making operation in a small way but
        doesn't get into the differences between canoe & kayak molds.
        I have heard that if you are using a boat as a plug, it is better
        to choose a sturdy one or risk ending up with a twisted or bent mold
        & boat(s).
        I would find a boatbuilding shop nearby and examine some of their
        molds to see how stiffeners, mating flanges, etc. are constructed.
        The tricky parts would be getting the mating flanges to be on the
        right place on the sides (these would rise at the ends) and doing the
        cockpit coaming.

        Tim Greiner