Cleaning up the interior

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2007
      I've found a tool that works reasonably well to scrape out the interior. I'd tried to wipe up the squeezed out glue while putting the strips on the hull but when I flipped it over... well let's just say I have a lot of work to do. ;-)

      I tried this and that and thought about getting a round bladed spoke shave, but found something I'd forgotten I had while rummaging around in a tool drawer. It's a round faced perforated rasp. It was attached to a handle that gripped it at both ends, but the handle was in the way so I removed the blade and use it wearing gloves. The nice thing is that it scrapes the globs of hardened glue off without biting into the wood much. So I can scrape merrily away without worrying about overdoing it and gouging the hull.

      I know I need one of those foam pads to attach to the orbital sander. I've been using it without one and while it's working, the foam pad would be better.

      But it's coming along much more quickly than I'd thought.

      What have others found useful for interior scraping?

      Corky Scott
    • Richard Berling
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2007
        Corky: Avoidance is a virtue when it comes to glue drips into the
        interior, but I have heard a one liter soda bottle with sandpaper
        taped to it works well for interior sanding. I don't know if you
        should fill the bottle anything or not, and I guess any flexible
        cylindrical object would work. Let us know how you do.
        Congratulations on your rapid progress.

        Richard C. Berling
        5026 Piccadilly Dr.
        Madison WI 53714

        1-608-241-0817
        rberling@...

      • Craig Addis
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2007
          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, charles.k.scott@... wrote:

          > I've found a tool that works reasonably well to scrape out the
          interior. I'd tried to wipe up the squeezed out glue while putting
          the strips on the hull but when I flipped it over... well let's just
          say I have a lot of work to do. ;-)

          > I tried this and that and thought about getting a round bladed
          spoke shave, but found something I'd forgotten I had while rummaging
          around in a tool drawer. It's a round faced perforated rasp. It was
          attached to a handle that gripped it at both ends, but the handle was
          in the way so I removed the blade and use it wearing gloves. The
          nice thing is that it scrapes the globs of hardened glue off without
          biting into the wood much. So I can scrape merrily away without
          worrying about overdoing it and gouging the hull.

          > I know I need one of those foam pads to attach to the orbital
          sander. I've been using it without one and while it's working, the
          foam pad would be better.

          > But it's coming along much more quickly than I'd thought.
          >
          > What have others found useful for interior scraping?
          >
          > Corky Scott

          The folks at the Woodenboat store and Newfound Woodworks offer the
          Pro-Prep paint scraping system. It's got a long handle, so you dont'
          wind up beating up your hands. They offer a couple of different
          blades for it and I like the half-moon one for canoe interiors. You
          can hold the handle at different angles to the boat and match the
          interior curve pretty well. These blades hold an edge very well.

          For the glue, a curved cabinet scraper works pretty well, too, but
          when it comes to the sanding of the cedar, those soft pads for the
          orbital sanders are the feline's hindquarters.

          Craig Addis
        • Ron Niklasson
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2007
            Hi Corky,
            I found a small scrap of 1/4" steel in the shop and cut it on the bandsaw to accomodate different radius curves. roughed out an edge on the high speed grinder(3450rpm) and then honed that edge on the slow speed (70 rpm) water bath grinder I use for the lathe chisels. Welded a 12" piece of 3/8 round bar stock for a handle and it worked quite well for knocking most of the glue off the inside. The foam pad on the orbital sander and some aggressive sandpaper took care of the rest of the glue spots.

            Glad things are moving along quickly for you. Can't wait to see photos of her on the water.

            Ron