Re: Too much chatter!

  • Tim Greiner
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22 1:55 PM
      Jeffrey-

      A buddy of mine bought the glass and sandpaper with jig setup and has
      had nothing but good things to say about that system- economical,
      easy to use and produces a nice edge.

      All the advice I've seen in the last posts has been good.

      Sometimes the wood simply won't cooperate with a plane- my boat is a
      mix of Western Red and Alaska Yellow cedars, the WRC planes easily
      while the AYC tears out and changes grain direction so often that
      planing was worse than sanding. In a case like that, the high speed
      sander is the best bet.

      Tim Greiner

      --- jeffrey wrote:

      > My block plane & spokeshave skills have much to be desired. I'm
      getting
      > too much chatter, particularly on the hardwoods. Every now & then I
      > have a Zen moment when these tools work well for me....a rare
      > occurance. I have no problem keeping them sharp with a stone & jig
      but
      > that's about all I have in common with these hand tools.
      >
      > Any "plane" words of advice? Does the ground angle of the blade
      make
      > any difference? Is a fine stone good enough? Should I mess with the
      > angle of the blade as it is mounted in the tool? Should I cut
      slightly
      > off perpendicular to the grain of wood?

    • jeffrey hoover
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 22 10:01 PM
        Tim,

        You have confirmed what I have suspected but don't have the "plane"
        experience to be sure. The different woods that I am using are all behaving
        different regardless of how sharp I make the tool. Mahogany is the worst &
        redwood is the best. Strangely, the redder the redwood the better it planes.
        Fortunately, I have lots of grinding & sanding tools.

        The glass & sandpaper sharpening technique sounds interesting. I don't have
        a very nice set of stones & don't have the cash for expensive sharpening
        tools.

        Thanks!

        Jeff