Staples be damned!

  • jeffrey
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
      Having spent a fair amount of money on redwood I decided that it would
      not be in my best interest to put a million holes in it. So I am
      clampin away with c-clamps & wedges. I have found that vinyl electrical
      tape works ok as a clamp too. I am using Titebond which sets-up in a
      reasonable amount of time(within 30 min & much less in Southern
      California) so that clamping does not put a major crimp in my building
      time. I am also making paddles so as not to get too bored with the
      stripping. The only concern that I have is when the strips stray away
      from the forms. I wedge them back in but still they flex back out after
      the glue dries.

      Question #1: Am I going to have problems in the long run with the
      strips straying from the mold. I am about 1/4 stripped now.

      Question #2: Have any good clamping tips?
    • calvin plato

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2007
          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "jeffrey" <hoove@...> wrote:

          > Having spent a fair amount of money on redwood I decided that it would
          > not be in my best interest to put a million holes in it. So I am
          > clampin away with c-clamps & wedges. I have found that vinyl electrical
          > tape works ok as a clamp too. I am using Titebond which sets-up in a
          > reasonable amount of time(within 30 min & much less in Southern
          > California) so that clamping does not put a major crimp in my building
          > time. I am also making paddles so as not to get too bored with the
          > stripping. The only concern that I have is when the strips stray away
          > from the forms. I wedge them back in but still they flex back out after
          > the glue dries.
          >
          > Question #1: Am I going to have problems in the long run with the
          > strips straying from the mold. I am about 1/4 stripped now.
          >
          > Question #2: Have any good clamping tips?
          >just got to ask were you got your red wood that you had to spend a
          "fair amount of money" on it , i made a 14 footer with 70 worth of
          redwood.
        • jeffrey hoover
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2007
            Richard & Calvin,

            Good ideas. I'm off to Harbor Freight.

            Thanks!

            Jeff

            jeffrey <hoove@sbcglobal. <mailto:hoove%40sbcglobal.net> net> wrote: Having

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
              --- You wrote:
              Question #1: Am I going to have problems in the long run with the
              strips straying from the mold. I am about 1/4 stripped now.

              Question #2: Have any good clamping tips?
              --- end of quote ---

              I also am building a stripper canoe without staples, and also encountered the "straying from the forms" situation. My canoe is the "Winisk", which has a planform that is not an ellipse: At the waterline, the hull moves in toward the stems and then sweeps forward in a concave curve. It's that part, the concavity, that is difficult to keep to the forms once the clamps are released.

              Mostly this is a problem of the hull away from the bottom because as the strips are glued to the stem where it curves towards the center of the hull, it pulls them in tight. I used furniture straps wrapped around the strongback and around the hull to hold things in tight while the glue dried. I also jammed wedges under the straps to apply more pressure where needed.

              I'm not worried that the hull isn't tight to the forms at the shearline because that's not going to be in the water so it won't really affect anything in terms of performance. The Winisk is an asymmetric design in that the widest part of the hull is aft of the middle by about a foot. That, plus a very sharply curved prow and stern (to maximize the length of the hull in the water) and the afore mentioned concave curve of the hull at both ends are all designed to minimize drag.

              So where it counts, at the waterline, the hull actually does follow the forms pretty closely.

              Speaking of the hull, I'm now closing to the keel strips I added and will probably be able to say that stripping is finished in about two weeks. I confess I don't work obsessively on it, I basically turn to it when all outside work and play is done. I'm trying to get my wife tuned in to sailing and we did that on Saturday when it was hot but a nice breeze was blowing. Sunday was super spectacular here in Vermont but I did yardwork and finished the installation of the trailer hitch wiring harness so that I can plug a trailer in when necessary. Only then did I work on the canoe, and then I spent at least an hour shaping the ends of just one strip that had a tricky fit at both ends.

              While that was curing, I spent some time working on the fit of the bow stem. Time to buy the fiberglass and epoxy I guess as that will be the next thing to do once the strips are done.