RE: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Re: sealing the canoe

  • John F. Howard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2007
      Don,

      I am hoping that all the fiber glassing is done and you just want to protect
      the fiber glass from the suns UV rays. Do you know if your Dutch oil has UV
      blockers in it? If the answer is no or don't know, get varnish that does and
      save the Dutch oil for other wood projects (a table, art etc.). If you have
      not done any fiber glassing, put the Dutch Oil in a secure location and give
      your wife the key, not to give it back until your canoe/kayak is finished.
      The Dutch Oil applied to bare wood will prevent the fiber glass from
      adhering. Good Luck.

    • donald kunsman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2007
        thanks guys , i was afraid you were going to say that, gave the wife
        the key john lol

        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "John F. Howard"
        <jfjchoward@...> wrote:

        > Don,
        >

        > I am hoping that all the fiber glassing is done and you just want
        to protect
        > the fiber glass from the suns UV rays. Do you know if your Dutch
        oil has UV
        > blockers in it? If the answer is no or don't know, get varnish that
        does and
        > save the Dutch oil for other wood projects (a table, art etc.). If
        you have
        > not done any fiber glassing, put the Dutch Oil in a secure location
        and give
        > your wife the key, not to give it back until your canoe/kayak is
        finished.
        > The Dutch Oil applied to bare wood will prevent the fiber glass from
        > adhering. Good Luck.

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
          Now, useing the oil on interior trim such as your inwales and seats
          would be very nice. Just make sure all your epoxying has been
          finished. Of course, don't put the oil over any epoxy. If you oil the
          gunwales, it is easiest to varnish the inside of the scuppers (if you
          make it with scuppers) when you varnish over the epoxy.
          Rick