canoe router bit sets

  • tropicalflavers
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2007
      all the sets i see say thay have a 1/8 radius
      bead and flute but the strips are 1/4 inch
      is this right ?
      freud makes a canoe bit set but it is 1/8 radius
      what size do i need and were is the best place to get
      the bit set what brand is best
      thanks for your help
    • t_eilers
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2007
        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "tropicalflavers"
        <dtropicalflavor@...> wrote:

        > all the sets i see say thay have a 1/8 radius
        > bead and flute but the strips are 1/4 inch
        > is this right ?

        The radius is from the center point to the edge, 1/8 radius would equal
        1/4 inch diameter, which should work with the your strip thickness.
        Good luck,
        Thomas
      • Keith Sevener
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2007
          two times 1/8 is 1/4 so that would turn out just right if I am thinking correctly. You put the center of the router bit in the center of the 1/4" strip and it will reach both edges of the strip.

          tropicalflavers <dtropicalflavor@...> wrote: all the sets i see say thay have a 1/8 radius
          bead and flute but the strips are 1/4 inch
          is this right ?
          freud makes a canoe bit set but it is 1/8 radius
          what size do i need and were is the best place to get
          the bit set what brand is best
          thanks for your help

          Keith
          Charlotte, Michigan

        • tfurey7
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2007
            I purchased my bits from mlcswoodworking.com .They list them as
            flute and bead bits. I also used the 5/16 bit set on 1/4" strips. you
            can make a tighter radius turn without worrying about breaking the
            fragile edge of the cove.

            But i am also building a kayak not a canoe.

            <dtropicalflavor@...> wrote:

            > all the sets i see say thay have a 1/8 radius
            > bead and flute but the strips are 1/4 inch
            > is this right ?
            > freud makes a canoe bit set but it is 1/8 radius
            > what size do i need and were is the best place to get
            > the bit set what brand is best
            > thanks for your help

          • John Howard
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2007
              I got my bits from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/ as seperate
              bits. The 1/4" Bead Bit is p/n 129683 and the 1/4" Flute bit is p/n
              129682. Both have 1/4" shanks.
            • tonymeurett
              Message 6 of 6 , May 26, 2007
                --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "t_eilers" <tneilers@...>
                wrote:
                >grizzly industrial sells a good set for strip building grizzly.com is
                the address. the set will cost about $45