Does marine vanish adhere to fiberglass?

  • iron_eddy
    Message 1 of 716 , Jul 2, 2000
      Here's my situation. The hull is completely
      sanded, both inside and out. Went the pneumatic route.
      Rough sanded with 100 grit using a vibrating sander. It
      took out all the runs but produces some pretty tough
      scratches. Next, a dual action(DA) sander was used with a
      220 grit paper. This did an excellent job in taking
      out all of the 100 grit paper scratches. Went one
      step further. The 220 grit paper left some barely
      visible orbital scratches. Took these scratches out using
      a 400 grit paper. The hull is very smooth. Did I
      make it too smooth? Will the marine varnish adhere to
      a fiberglassed surface sanded to a 400 grit paper?
      fiberglass? The label on the marine varnish container never
      refers to fiberglass. It only refers to applications of
      the varnish onto bare woods. Gil Gilpatrick, the
      author of the canoe building book that I'm using, says
      to apply acouple of coats of "good quality marine
      varnish" to the fiberglassed hull. Some reassurance would
      make me feel a whole lot better. There are different
      types and brands of marine varnish. The marina that I
      visited had 5 brands. There was clear gloss and
      ruberized. What is ruberized? Does anyone have a type and
      brand that they'ld swear by?<br>Thanks People. <br>Iron
      Eddy
      Message 716 of 716 , Mar 24, 2002