Re: new member - wood supply

  • J. R. Sloan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "boojiewoojie"
      <bwtaudiowerks@...> wrote:

      > Hi-
      > I'm about to finish my second canoe and found this group a few days
      > ago. Ya'll have some good ideas and I'm looking forward to browsing
      > through everything. My latest canoe is all sassafras for the fun of
      > it. The wood is from a local Amish sawmill and works great! I like to
      > make a canoe with attention to detail, but in practice I'm more of a
      > "measure once and use a big hammer" kind of guy; whatever is cheap
      > and easy looks good to me...The tool I recommend the most is a belt
      > sander with 40 grit paper on it...(oops, is that light I see?)

      JR Sloan: Most any wood will work for this method of canoe & boat
      building--and combinations of strips work just as well. The secret to
      the strength lies in the composite of the fiberglass with the resins,
      separated by the wood which lends shape, flex and structure. When
      you're done with your boat, you've built a series of box beams that are
      not only graceful and strong, but can be really beautiful at the same
      time.
      No reason I can think of that sassafrass wouldn't make a good canoe. I
      suggest that you assemble the strips and have them all glued together
      before you start planing, scraping or sanding. I made that mistake
      once and got down to the transparent-wood stage myself before I
      realized what I was doing.
      JR Sloan