Help needed...

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2006
      Hello all,

      As way of introduction, I am a kayaker (carbon-kevlar, 17' sea
      kayak). Someone sent me a link to this site to see pictures or read a
      report & thus I joined. My goal some day in the (not so near) future,
      I hope to build a strip-built kayak. In the interim I am paddling as
      much as I can & reading all the wonderful reports from various
      paddling yahoo-groups. I esp. enjoy seeing all the in progress to
      finished projects you folks have.

      Now to my question of "help needed", a bit of history first. There is
      a fella in one of the yahoo-groups I paddle with on a regular basis
      who custom makes Greenland-style paddles from Western Red Cedar. They
      are not only very functional, but works of art as well, much like all
      your beautiful projects. I had one made for me & received it in
      August. I've used it many times & thoroughly enjoy it, both as a
      paddle & the craftmanship that has gone into it. I took it on a 130
      mile kayak/camping trip (car support most of the trip) & used it
      nearly as much as my euro-blade. (see attached picture of paddle
      before I received it.... I'm hoping it attaches, I'm not sure how to
      do this in a yahoo-group)

      The week after I returned I went on the usual weekly paddle. We had
      returned to shore after dark & were all loading up & stowing our
      gear, chatting as we did. I stowed my paddle along with the other
      gear & shut the car door. I heard the most horrible crunch & prayed
      it was my euro-blade as I knew I could replace it. Sadly it was not
      to be. I had crunched the last 4" or so in the door. It broke the end
      nearly off. My friend, John, took the end off, sanded it down (it was
      originally finished with Teak Oil) and attempted to repair it by
      gluing it. I don't know with what glue. John used Tung Oil as a
      finish this time after the gluing. The paddle worked well for 2-1/2
      paddling trips. This past Sunday while we were out on an extended
      paddle the broken piece came off yet again. I was fortunate enough to
      retrieve it, but am now faced with the prospect of figuring out how
      to repair this paddle in a more permanent fashion, all the while
      maintaining the beauty & lines of the paddle. I am unable to replace
      the paddle at this time, though hope to once I am no longer unemployed.

      When I first did this those of us who were there had a discussion as
      to the best possible means of repairing the paddle. I finally
      narrowed it down to the option of 2oz. fiberglass & epoxy. However, I
      have NO experience in this sort of repair & do NOT want to ruin this
      paddle beyond all use & beauty. This is where I need help. I hope to
      send pictures to this group, but before I did wanted to check and see
      if any of you would be willing to repair my paddle. I willing to pay
      for all shipping & handling to & from & something for your time &
      materials. I can't afford much but really would like to have my
      paddle repaired. Esp. since I had hoped to use it to learn to roll
      this winter (in a pool setting!).

      Please let me know what you guys think. I'll try to send pictures
      later today after I get back from errands.
      Regards,
      Karen
      North Carolina

    • Bill Thomas