Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] supporting the canoe

  • eric S
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
      Ron

      The folks at WWW.DUCKWORKSMAGAZINE.COM are always
      looking for stories about home built boats.. If you
      have a chance you can send a short note and some pics
      and you will be famous.....

      Eric S

      --- Ron Niklasson <starryguy59@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > The prospector comes off the forms tonight. What
      > method did you guys use to support your boats while
      > you were doing the inside. I was going to make two
      > slings and position them around station #3. This
      > won't hold the canoe steady, but I think it will
      > even;y distribute the weight. Any other suggestions?
      > Thanks, Ron

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • John Howard
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
        Ron,

        In CanoeCraft by Ted Moores, he uses the leftover pieces from the
        moldforms (in other words the negative of the inside form). He then
        pads this outer form with pipe insulation and attaches it to the
        strongback. If you use the #4 (from the end) form pattern you may have
        to move it towards the ends for your canoe to fit and the support will
        be solid compared to a sling type support. It may not be the fold
        up/knock down support you are looking for, but will take up no more
        space than what you are using now. And these outer forms, when
        removed, will only add 2 more forms to your pile of forms.
      • John Howard
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
          Ron,

          Also check the photo section, the albums - Cecils Boat Works by David
          J Rollins, and Ofmik and Strippers Gallery, both by Ofmik. They use
          the strap type support, appear to work well and look like they take up
          little room when not in use.
        • Ron Niklasson

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
              Ron-

              The rigid holder espoused by Ted Moores has a downside in that you
              can't rotate the canoe to make sanding portions of the interior more
              accessible. I padded the top of my strongback and added some
              padded 'goal-post' constraints near the ends. I wasn't gental enough
              with the sanding, though, and ended up inducing and fixing some stress
              cracks. If I did it again I would choose slings- wide slings with some
              method to keep the canoe from swinging while working it.

              Tim Greiner

              --- Ron Niklasson wrote:

              > Hi guys,
              > The prospector comes off the forms tonight. What method did you
              guys use to support your boats while you were doing the inside. I was
              going to make two slings and position them around station #3. This
              won't hold the canoe steady, but I think it will even;y distribute the
              weight. Any other suggestions?
              > Thanks, Ron

            • ofmik