Kayak for the larger paddler.

  • ehud_yaniv
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
      I am new here and to date have not built a boat.

      I know this group is primarily for "strippers" and I will eventually ask questions about that
      when I get to my Bear Mountain plans which is for a cedar strip canoe.

      What I hope to get some help on is building a stitch and glue kayak for large paddlers. I am
      quite heavy and short but most kayaks can carry my weight. My building partner, however is
      quite large at over 300 lbs. and 6' tall.

      Any suggestions for plans that would work for someone of his size?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Ehud
    • Joe Tribulato
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
        There are two kit sellers with useful sites that come to mind.
        try Pygmy or CLC. Their suggestions on loading of their boats would be
        informative. Pygmy would be my choice for a kit.

        Joe T

        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "ehud_yaniv" <eyaniv@...> wrote:

        > I am new here and to date have not built a boat.
        >
        > I know this group is primarily for "strippers" and I will eventually
        ask questions about that
        > when I get to my Bear Mountain plans which is for a cedar strip canoe.
        >
        > What I hope to get some help on is building a stitch and glue kayak
        for large paddlers. I am
        > quite heavy and short but most kayaks can carry my weight. My
        building partner, however is
        > quite large at over 300 lbs. and 6' tall.
        >
        > Any suggestions for plans that would work for someone of his size?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Ehud

      • ofmik
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
          Try www.watersdancing.com , they have excellent designs with the most compete kits that I have ever built. Check out the Solace EX series. Give either Don or Jim a call, they are honest and helpfull. I have built kits from three different suppliers; Dancing Waters is heads above the rest for thier fit, excellent documentation and for all the extras that come standard (that you have to pay extra for with others).

          Guellemot Kayaks offers the Expedition L, which was the first stripper design I built. It easily accomadates my generous girth while packing lots of gear to boot. It has the best initial and secondary stability I have every seen in any kayak. Nick Schrade is also very helpful and easy to deal with. You can see the contruction process at http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/4191940CqklKtRUqP . Nick also has plans for stitch and glue boats as well.

          Good luck!

          ehud_yaniv <eyaniv@...> wrote:

          I am new here and to date have not built a boat.

          I know this group is primarily for "strippers" and I will eventually ask questions about that
          when I get to my Bear Mountain plans which is for a cedar strip canoe.

          What I hope to get some help on is building a stitch and glue kayak for large paddlers. I am
          quite heavy and short but most kayaks can carry my weight. My building partner, however is
          quite large at over 300 lbs. and 6' tall.

          Any suggestions for plans that would work for someone of his size?

          Any help would be appreciated.

          Ehud

        • Ehud Yaniv
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2006
            Thanks to everyone that made suggestions for large paddlers.

            My friend and I went to the boat festival at Port Townsend on the weekend
            and tried some Pygmy boats.

            I tried the Osprey and the Coho while my friend tried and Queen Charlotte
            XL.

            My friend went on a long paddle but started to cramp up a little and ended
            up dumping himself in the water.

            I had never been in a kayak before but tried the Coho. After some
            reassurance and help determining how she felt and what effort it would take
            to tip her, I paddled the Coho close to shore. I then transferred to the
            Osprey which seemed to be very stable to me.

            The people at Pygmy talked about "second kayak syndrome" whereby the second
            boat always feels more stable than the first and that if I had tried the
            Coho again, I would have found it stable.

            As it is, I will be buying the Coho as it is a boat I can grow into. My
            plan is to have some friends paddle with me in their canoe when I learn to
            use it in some sheltered water.

            Now I just have to save some coin to pay for the kayak.

            My friend has decided that a kayak is not for him at this time and plans to
            build a strip built rowing boat.

            I will keep people informed about progress when we get started.

            Oody

            PS: my wife now wants me to build her a cedar strip Rob Roy from Bear
            mountain. I will first try to loft the plans from the book Canoecraft.

            On 9/5/06 6:18 AM, "ofmik" <ofmik@...> wrote:

            > Try www.watersdancing.com , they have excellent designs with the most compete
            > kits that I have ever built. Check out the Solace EX series. Give either Don
            > or Jim a call, they are honest and helpfull. I have built kits from three
            > different suppliers; Dancing Waters is heads above the rest for thier fit,
            > excellent documentation and for all the extras that come standard (that you
            > have to pay extra for with others).
            >
            > Guellemot Kayaks offers the Expedition L, which was the first stripper
            > design I built. It easily accomadates my generous girth while packing lots of
            > gear to boot. It has the best initial and secondary stability I have every
            > seen in any kayak. Nick Schrade is also very helpful and easy to deal with.
            > You can see the contruction process at
            > http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/4191940CqklKtRUqP . Nick also has
            > plans for stitch and glue boats as well.
            >
            > Good luck!
            >
            > ehud_yaniv <eyaniv@...> wrote:
            >
            > I am new here and to date have not built a boat.
            >
            > I know this group is primarily for "strippers" and I will eventually ask
            > questions about that
            > when I get to my Bear Mountain plans which is for a cedar strip canoe.
            >
            > What I hope to get some help on is building a stitch and glue kayak for large
            > paddlers. I am
            > quite heavy and short but most kayaks can carry my weight. My building
            > partner, however is
            > quite large at over 300 lbs. and 6' tall.
            >
            > Any suggestions for plans that would work for someone of his size?
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Ehud

          • Karl
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
              A little OT, but if you're looking to build, and you're not doing
              little rivers, you might look into SoF for economics.

              I'm well into a greenland-style boat ala Morris & Cunningham (ribs
              done, stem pieces on, shaping stringers), and this is a relatively
              inexpensive and quick-to-build approach. The measurements all come
              directly from your body, so the boat you build will fit you (like a
              pair of pants). It also results in a light-weight boat. If your
              careful, you can supposedly get an all-up weight around 35 lbs. Mine
              will probably come in around 40 lbs. Not bad for a 17' 4" LOA, 21"
              beam, 9 1/4" depth-to-shear little boat (my 15' sailing canoe weighs
              in around 170 lbs rigged).

              $85 for 12oz 'basket weave' nylon
              $15 for gunnel/deck beam stock
              $15 for green rib stock
              $12 for stem stock
              $10 for cockpit ring stock
              $10 for 500' artifical sinew (waxed nylon)
              $10 for deck rigging stuff
              $20 for polyurethane
              $20 for minicell floor skin and padding blocks

              So all-up materials costs ~ $200. You'll need another $30 or so if
              you can't scrouge the stuff you need for a steam-box (teapot, hot
              plate, a little hose and a couple band clamps, 3" or so PVC, etc)

              There's also the 'cool refreshing beverage' expenses, but that doesn't
              make a line item :)

              I already have a hand bilge pump, pfd, wetsuit, etc to round out the
              safety kit, but I did have to invest an additional $210 for
              kayak-specific gear ($90 paddle, $90 float bags, $30 nylon skirt).

              Anyway, just my $0.02. A SoF boat looks like it will suit my needs,
              and has the lowest cost and time requirements of any building style
              I've ran across.

              pax..
              -k

            • Tim Greiner
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
                Ehud-

                If you want to check out Skin-on-Frame, this is a good place to start
                http://www.capefalconkayak.com/index.html
                Bryan will be doing a Portland class in a couple of weeks, even if
                that is too early for you, contact him and ask if you can drop in and
                check out the building process.

                --- Ehud Yaniv wrote:

                > Thanks to everyone that made suggestions for large paddlers.
                >
                > My friend and I went to the boat festival at Port Townsend on the
                weekend
                > and tried some Pygmy boats.
                >
                > I tried the Osprey and the Coho while my friend tried and Queen
                Charlotte
                > XL.
                >
                > My friend went on a long paddle but started to cramp up a little
                and ended
                > up dumping himself in the water.
                >
                > I had never been in a kayak before but tried the Coho. After some
                > reassurance and help determining how she felt and what effort it
                would take
                > to tip her, I paddled the Coho close to shore. I then transferred
                to the
                > Osprey which seemed to be very stable to me.
                >
                > The people at Pygmy talked about "second kayak syndrome" whereby
                the second
                > boat always feels more stable than the first and that if I had
                tried the
                > Coho again, I would have found it stable.
                >
                > As it is, I will be buying the Coho as it is a boat I can grow
                into. My
                > plan is to have some friends paddle with me in their canoe when I
                learn to
                > use it in some sheltered water.
                >
                > Now I just have to save some coin to pay for the kayak.
                >
                > My friend has decided that a kayak is not for him at this time and
                plans to
                > build a strip built rowing boat.
                >
                > I will keep people informed about progress when we get started.
                >
                > Oody
                >
                > PS: my wife now wants me to build her a cedar strip Rob Roy from
                Bear
                > mountain. I will first try to loft the plans from the book
                Canoecraft.

                I did the same for the Huron Cruiser- but I use AutoCad for a living.
                Expect to fudge quite a few points to get something that is fair.

                Tim Greiner
              • J. R. Sloan
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
                  OODY Wrote:

                  > PS: my wife now wants me to build her a cedar strip Rob Roy from
                  Bear Mountain. I will first try to loft the plans from the book
                  Canoecraft.

                  OODY:

                  Everybody starts somewhere--and strip-building often looks tougher
                  than it really is.

                  If you get the plans lofted (not hard) and take the next few steps
                  (making the strongback, setting up the molds) you won't need the kits:
                  you'll be able to do the job yourself.

                  Biggest advantage of kits is that all the "fixins" come in one
                  package. Well, usually.

                  JR
                • Ehud Yaniv
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
                    Hi all,

                    Again, thanks to all who made suggestions.

                    As for the skin on frame, not much of a fan. I am sure they work fine and
                    some look cool but they just leave me feeling a little cold.

                    As I mentioned in a previous post, we are now making 3 boats as such
                    1. a pygmy Coho stitch and glue for me
                    2. a strip build Rob Roy from the Canoecraft book
                    3. a strip built skill for rowing.

                    I agree that stripping looks hard but I believe that it will be easy with a
                    little study and planning.

                    I hope to keep people informed when the projects start. The first boat up
                    will be the Coho.

                    Oody