Non-corrosive screws for the gunwales

  • Bill Bechard
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
      Quick question. Where can I find/purchase non-corrosive flathead
      screws for the gunwales? I also need 3/8" stem banding too.

      Thanks,

      Bill
    • Keith Sevener
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
        Try Jamestown Distributors at WWW.Jamestowndistributors.com They carry
        about anything you might need in the way of screws and other boat
        building tools and materials.

        Keith

        --- Bill Bechard <bechardb@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Quick question. Where can I find/purchase non-corrosive flathead
        screws for the gunwales? I also need 3/8" stem banding too.

        Thanks,

        Bill

        Canoeing and kayaking
        Paddling gear
        Wood strip

        Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • Jon
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
          I would suggest using stainless steel. You should be able to get a box of 100 for about $10-$12.

          Try any place that has a lot of fasteners. Home Improvement stores will probably be the most expensive. Any hardware store should have them or be able to get them. Try someplace like Ace, True-Value, or something like that. Many of those stores have fasteners you can purchase individually. If you ask they probably have a box price.

          Around here we have a place called Fastenal that sells any type of fastener you can think of. A lot of those places claim they sell to businesses only ... so set up an account with them. A lot of them will sell to you anyway as over-the-counter sales if you tell them what you are doing.

          Good luck!

          Jon

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
            --- You wrote:
            Quick question. Where can I find/purchase non-corrosive flathead
            screws for the gunwales? I also need 3/8" stem banding too.

            Thanks,

            Bill
            --- end of quote ---

            Are you going to have the screws exposed Bill? Lots of people counter sink them, then glue in wooden plugs on top of them. Also, many epoxy the gunwales in addition to screws, so whatever you use to attach them doesn't need to be something like an AN aircraft quality bolt.

            If it's going to be covered over anyway and sealed then there's no real need to use stainless steel or brass. Of course if you plan to remove the gunwales at some point, and will be leaving them exposed to the elements then that's a different story.

            Several of the prolific builders wrote about attaching the gunwales such that they could later be removed, but then found that they never had an occasion to remove them, so they permanently bonded them to the hull from then on.

            Corky Scott
          • Jon

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
                  Hi Corky,

                  I have to disagree with you on this one. Even if the screws are plugged and covered, I would still use stainless. It is amazing how moisture is able to penetrate. Especially in a situation where you are securing a joint such as a gunnel which may be subjected to flexing, impacts, and other stresses.

                  I think with all the money and time I put into a boat like this I don't want to risk any potential issues with a screw that costs less than a dime. So I would go to the effort of locating stainless for any hardware used on a boat I am building.

                  Just my humble opinion!

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
                    --- You wrote:
                    Hi Corky,

                    I have to disagree with you on this one. Even if the screws are plugged and covered, I would still use stainless. It is amazing how moisture is able to penetrate. Especially in a situation where you are securing a joint such as a gunnel which may be subjected to flexing, impacts, and other stresses.

                    I think with all the money and time I put into a boat like this I don't want to risk any potential issues with a screw that costs less than a dime. So I would go to the effort of locating stainless for any hardware used on a boat I am building.

                    Just my humble opinion!

                    Jon
                    --- end of quote ---

                    No problem Jon, I'm no expert. I was just thinking in terms of bonding, as opposed to mechanically attaching. If you are bonding the gunwales to the hull, they will be water proof at the joint to the hull, and will have the hole plugged with a wood dowel, which will also will be epoxied in place. With enough clamps, you don't even need screws, they're there just to hold things in place with even pressure while the epoxy cures. After that, they could be removed, just like the staples that are pulled once the glue is cured and you're ready to finish the hull for fiberglassing.

                    I've even heard of guys using wooden dowels in place of screws. The gunwale was dry fit, and holes drilled for the dowels when all was lined up. Then the gunwales were removed, epoxy applied and the gunwales reinstalled with the dowels bonked through the holes to keep all from sliding around as you clamped from one end to the other.

                    If you are bonding, the screws aren't there for strength.

                    I haven't priced various screws but I doubt that buying stainless as opposed to ordinary screws would be a project stopper, so sure, buy what you think works best for you.