Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Nother New Guy with a Question

  • Alex Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2006
      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, charles.k.scott@... wrote:

      > --- You wrote:
      > I've bulit a few boats in my time but never a canoe nor anything
      as pretty
      > as a strip boat.
      > I came across this whole concept while looking for something else
      and now, I
      > can hardly think of anything but how beautiful these boats are.
      > I have a number of publications on the way but haven't had a lot
      of luck
      > locating a source for red and northern cedar in my area.
      > If anyone knows of a decent source in the Cleveland/ Medina Ohio
      area, I'd
      > be very greatful for the lead.
      > Alex Smith
      > Medina, Ohio
      > --- end of quote ---
      >
      > Alex, I'm kind of surprised by this. Western red cedar is pretty
      abundant and available even here in Vermont, albeit at a specialty
      lumber company. But I stopped by and had a look and they had
      bunches of it, and in long lengths. It was clear, and varied in
      color from that rust red to amber.

      > They had lengths all the way up to 20 feet.
      >
      > I'd be surprised if you could not google "western red cedar" and
      add your state, and not get some hits.

      > Corky Scott

      Well, I've done a bunch more google searches and have found the
      Western Red Cedar Lumber Association (wrcla.org) which does list
      some local lumber companies. Guess I'll have to go and check them
      out.
      Thanks for the tip, Corky.
      Alex