Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Canoe recommendation

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
      --- You wrote:
      If anyone has any suggestions and can also help direct me to a source for the offsets, I would be grateful.

      I have looked at the designs offered by MCA and am not sure they have what I am looking for (I also can't find the plans on their new web site). I also looked at the Solo Tripper 17 from Bear Mountain boats and am intrigued by that design but would love to hear from anyone who has paddled that boat. Finally, I looked into Newfound Woodworks and don't see a design there that looks like it will be what I want.

      I understand that the design I am looking for may lack in primary stability.

      I am located in West Central Wisconsin.

      Thanks in advance!
      --- end of quote ---

      There is also the "Winisk" designed by John Winters, a canadian who designs assymetrical hulled canoes for big water.

      See: http://www.greenval.com/winisk.html for a description.

      Corky Scott
    • rberling@charter.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
        --I'm sure this is the one I build from borrowed stations, and stretched to 18.5 feet, an absolutely inconsequencial change.

        BWCA Cruiser: This is an asymmetrical design with the widest part of the hull being behind the center of the boat. It has some tumblehome, slight rocker, flatter bottom, shallow draft, and has high initial stability. Length 18' beam 35" waterline 32" depth 11" bow height 18"

        I got this at: http://www.canoe-kayak.org/pages/plans.html

        where it further states:

        All Canoe and Kayak Plans are $30 ($20 for MCA members) plus MN Sales Tax, plus $5.60 Shipping and Handling via Priority Mail
        MCA Builders Book "Revised Edition" $30 ($27. for members) Plus MN Sales Tax and $5.60 Shipping and Handling via Priority Mail
        All monetary transactions are in US currency.
        Make check or bank money order payable to Minnesota Canoe Association, INC (MCA).
        Mail to MCA, P.O. Box 13567, Dinkytown Station, Minneapolis Minnesota 55414-5567

        Al Gustaverson is a font of information. He teaches classes and has all the supplies. I stopped in his shop and it is great, wish I was closer to take the class.

        The pic is my unfinished Freedom 17, hope to take it down the Cheyenne River in S.D. this summer.

        Let me know if you need any other info.

        Richard C. Berling
        rberling@...
        608-241-0817