Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] recommendations for varnish?

  • djohnson450@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2005
      The product you listed looks like a good spar varnish. The better spar varnishes also prodcue their own 'brand' of thinner and thinning directions. I would go that way. Definently do not use off the shelg lacquer thinner.

      DavidJ

      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anyone have recommendations for a brand of varnish (or one to
      > avoid) to refinish a cedar strip/fiberglass canoe? I have a gift
      > certificate to West Marine, and they have this on sale:
      > http://tinyurl.com/96rew Does it look suitable? Can I use standard
      > laquer thinner?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -bob
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carel Ruysink
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2005
        Me and friends use clear car paint. It is designed to prevent metallic paint
        from corroding. i.e. it is very water and air resitant. It is tough. It
        lasts long (at least 10 years on a car) and is a very good UV blocker.
        Above that is the gloss super and adherance to epoxy excelent.
        Any well known brand of carpaint will do but I prefer AKZO/Sikkens or
        Glasurit (available in the USA?).
        Carel

        djohnson450@... wrote:
        > The product you listed looks like a good spar varnish. The better
        > spar varnishes also prodcue their own 'brand' of thinner and thinning
        > directions. I would go that way. Definently do not use off the
        > shelg lacquer thinner.
        >
        > DavidJ

        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> Does anyone have recommendations for a brand of varnish (or one to
        >> avoid) to refinish a cedar strip/fiberglass canoe? I have a gift
        >> certificate to West Marine, and they have this on sale:
        >> http://tinyurl.com/96rew Does it look suitable? Can I use standard
        >> laquer thinner?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> -bob
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • JR Sloan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
          Especially good recommendation from Carel...if we're going to finish these
          vessels to the high gloss of professional finish, then paint designed for
          that job seems a good choice. I have been looking at some car paints for
          some other projects locally, and there are several crystalline overcoats
          with the kinds of UV radiation protection built in. It almost goes without
          saying that the paint has extreme weather-ability.

          One drawback of these clear coats over spar varnish though, is the patina
          that you get naturally with the spar varnish: a honey-colored tone that gets
          a little darker with age. If you're going for the traditional look, it's
          tough to beat spar varnish.

          I wonder--has anyone ever looked at a comparison for durability and/or
          flexibility of different paints?
          It would be a shame if after all the hours of work, a finish couldn't take
          the flexing a stripper would naturally inflict on the finish. All that
          work--ruined because the super-hard paint flexed, cracked and/or
          crystallized. I don't know that is the case, but it's worth checking out
          first.

          J.R. Sloan
          Lt Col, USAF (Retired)
          Spokane, WA