Texas Kayak Builders Bash 2005 - Pictures

  • Gordon Niessen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2005
      Thought you might want to check out the pictures I took at the recent Texas
      Kayak Builders Bash.

      I did organize them into three categories:

      Boats:
      <http://gniessen.smugmug.com/gallery/510600>http://gniessen.smugmug.com/gallery/510600

      Kayakers:
      <http://gniessen.smugmug.com/gallery/510613>http://gniessen.smugmug.com/gallery/510613

      Bash:
      <http://gniessen.smugmug.com/gallery/510614>http://gniessen.smugmug.com/gallery/510614

      Boats is just kayaks. There were about 50 of them in attendance.
      Kayakers is people actually paddling, rolling, sailing, and enjoying the
      boats.
      Bash photos are misc shots plus the awards ceremony.

      Warning there are 130 boat shots, 100 of kayakers, and 23 Bash photos. I
      know there are a couple duplicates when I had my camera on rapid shot from
      catching Kurt doing rolls and then went back to capturing boats. I'll cull
      as I find them.
    • Jon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27 8:11 AM
        Hey JR,

        Just read an article on-line from the Seattle Post.
        It is about the development of whitewatrer parks in
        Seattle and Yakima. http://snipurl.com/gje0

        The article references Nick Sloan from the Yakima
        Kayak Club. Just wondered if he is related to you?

        In recent cedar strip news, I just repaired a number
        of gouges on the hull of my 16' Prospector. I have
        been pretty willing to take this canoe down class I
        and II whitewater and it is showing signs of bumps and
        bruises from that type of water.

        Keep the open side up.

        Jon

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • J. R. Sloan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27 8:56 AM
          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Jon <ssnvet637@y...> wrote:
          > Hey JR,
          >
          > Just read an article on-line from the Seattle Post.
          > It is about the development of whitewatrer parks in
          > Seattle and Yakima. http://snipurl.com/gje0
          >
          > The article references Nick Sloan from the Yakima
          > Kayak Club. Just wondered if he is related to you?
          >
          > In recent cedar strip news, I just repaired a number
          > of gouges on the hull of my 16' Prospector. I have
          > been pretty willing to take this canoe down class I
          > and II whitewater and it is showing signs of bumps and
          > bruises from that type of water.
          >
          > Keep the open side up.
          >
          > Jon

          Jon--
          Don't know of any direct relatives in the Yakima area, and none at
          all with the name, "Nick", but who knows?? A lot of us trace back
          to an Irish immigrant circa 1740 or so, who jumped an indenture to
          set off into the Ohio territory, and as the family branched we all
          kept moving west, just ahead of the law (so to speak). Certainly we
          share a liking for water, and though white water is a little past my
          current skills or physical desire, there was a day.

          The upper reaches of the Yakima are a pretty much unused and
          spectacularly beautiful stream, especially in Spring and early
          summer when snowmelt and rain runoff make it as rough and tumble as
          any stream in the country. It's visible by road most of its stretch
          along Interstate Hiway 90, and accessible at many points. Yet, in
          all my years of driving by, I've seen maybe two or three canoeists;
          is suspect there are many more along select stretches, but I bet
          there are miles you could float--and fight rapids--where you would
          see no one for hours.

          In the lower reaches at and below Yakima city, the stream is pretty
          much tamed, but some of the state's best bass and catfish fishing
          and slower flow appeals to some of us (shall we say) more relaxed
          and experienced boaters and canoeists. My goal is to catch a 30-
          pound channel cat and an 8-pound bass out of the lower reach near
          McNary Pool in the same day. There are those who have made the
          trifecta: a cat, a bass and a salmon, all in the same day.

          BTW, my next boat is a stripper or stripper-ply hybrid, sailboat,
          for using in some of our tmer waters. I'm looking at a strip-built
          modified catboat with center/dagger-board or leeboards to haul in
          when running into rocky shallows. After that, back to stripper
          canoes.

          Sadly, the topside of Firecracker is now up--against the garage
          roof, as there isn't time right now to get the bottom wet.

          Splash some for me,

          JR