Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] When to weave?

  • djohnson450@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
      The inner stem is mounted to the end stations and tapered to match the curve of the hull. The strips are attached to the outside edge of the stem and cut flush. The outside stem is epoxied and screwed to the inner stem. The strips but up against the outer stem. The outer stem is then shaped so it is flush with the hull and tapered to the leading edge.

      On the bottom of the hull the strips sit on top of the inner stem and a grove must be cut to fit the outer stem. After planing it down the outer stem will be reduced from 3/4" to about 1/4" on the bottom of the canoe but retain its full 3/4" thickness on the leading edge.

      Hope this make some sense. You might want to look for another book with better pictures. Canoe Craft is great but I found that a comparable book (Illustrated Guide to Wood Strip Canoe Building by Susan Van Leuven)
      had better illustrations and paid more attention to the finish details.

      Good luck

      DavidJ

      > Okay I'm a first time canoe builder and I have a question for the more
      > expirienced builders. The canoe I am building has an inner stem and an
      > outer stem. I am using the canoe craft book as a reference and it
      > states to cut the strips off at a 90 degree angle to the shaped stem
      > but when you get down past the waterline where the stem flattens out
      > at some point I am assuming you have to begin weaving the strips
      > because of the amount of wood that is taken off would be excessive.
      > Another question would be is a trough dug in the cedar to accomodate
      > the outer stem after the entire canoe is stripped? The Canoe Craft
      > book does not show how the outer stem is installed but I do know that
      > the inner and outer stem must be butted up against one another. Any
      > help/advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Photos would
      > be a plus too.
      >
      > Rookie canoe builder thanks you!
      >
      > Bill
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • J. R. Sloan
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12 11:23 AM
        Just adding two cents...Once you have the strips fastened (however
        you choose to do this), you'll have a base of some kind to mount the
        outer stem. I've found it easier to go ahead with planking and
        making sure all the strips are firmly anchored, THEN trim the strip
        ends to a flat, 90 degrees to the centerline, just wide enough to
        provide a curved surface for mounting the outer stem. This will
        require a little trial-and-error, but less than trying to keep up
        with the dimensions while still trying to plank the bottom. What
        this does in effect, is create a "rabbet" into which all the ends of
        all the planking strips fit perfectly, rather than trying to cut the
        rabbet in the first place and then trying to fit all the strips to
        that.
        This is great work, if you can find it!
        JR