Re: stapling

  • iron_eddy
    Message 1 of 716 , Apr 17, 2000
      Hey Oldmoore, <br> Once, on the "Learning
      Channel" they showed some high speed photography. A bullet
      entered an apple from one end, leaving a small entry
      hole. As it exited on the other end it pulverized an
      area much greater than the bullets diameter. The same
      thing happens when stapling cedar strips. <br> I looked
      at my hull yesterday. The staple holes on the
      outside are small and unnoticeable from a distance of 6
      feet. Even at 1 foot they looked okay underneath the
      fiberglass. The inside is a different story. As the staples
      passed through the 1\4in thick cedar strips there was
      splintering. There were about 60 to 75 major splintered areas
      as a result of appling 2000 staples. The worst being
      12mm long by 3mm wide. A majority of the 75 were about
      5mm long by 1.5mm wide. The remaining staple holes
      didn't splinter. They were of the same size as those on
      the hulls outside. <br>Its very noticeable; the few
      splinters that were puttied on the inside. However, they're
      spaced out far enough apart as to not produce and
      eye-sore. My friend helped me with the interior
      fiberglassing 2 Sundays ago. He's a critic on all subjects, by
      nature. He didn't even notice the putty job.<br> My
      staple holes were filled in with West System Microlight
      Fairing Filler(410). The dried fairing filler definately
      looks synthetic. It dries to a light shade of
      tan/manila. When I ripped the cedar strips, some very fine
      saw dust collected underneath the table saw. I saved
      this dust thinking it would be ideal for filling in
      the staple holes. Unfortunately, when mixed with the
      epoxy, the make-shift dust putty turned very dark. I
      quickly abandoned that idea. <br> Be thorough when
      filling in the staple holes. A few of my puttied staple
      holes had micro pin holes in them. These puttied holes
      produces gas bubbles in the freshly applied epoxy resin.
      The gas bubbles were the size of sun fish eyes. The
      bubbles could be attributed to moisture collecting in
      these pin holes(amani blush removal technique). If
      allowed to dry, the bubbles leave ugly rings on your
      fiberglassing job. <br> Keep at it Oldmoore. <br> Iron_eddy
      Message 716 of 716 , Mar 24, 2002