Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Good Source for Router Bits

  • Greg Ham
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      For right now I'm just making enough strips for one boat but I would still
      be very interested in hearing about your 2 router setup. Please share.

      Designing tools on an airplane napkin. I've done that too. In fact now I
      usually take a drawing pad with me when I travel. Kills the time better
      than reading a newspaper.

      Nice website!

      Thanks
      Greg

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "gdham0682" <gdham@m...>
        wrote:
        >Greg--I posted a section in the "Files" section entitled "tool
        sources" that has at least one entry about where to get some good
        deals on router bits of all kinds. Everyone else is encouraged to
        add to this listing or make lists of their own up there. Just click
        on "Files" in the left column, then "tool sources".

        JR

        > Hello
        >
        > I'm presently setting up my garage to start making strips and I'm
        not
        > sure where to get the router bits from. I've found some Freud
        1/4"
        > canoe bits on the web
        >
        > http://www.freud-tools.com/freudcanjoin.html
        >
        > but I remember someone saying that 3/8" was better because the
        1/4"
        > cove edges were too fragile. Am I correct in remembering this?
        >
        > Where can I get a 3/8" half round (or bead) bit and a 3/8" cove
        bit
        > from? ...> Thanks in Advance
        > Greg in West Palm Beach
      • J. R. Sloan
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "gevannos1" <eric@r...>
          wrote:

          > Are you looking to make alot of strips?
          > Ideally you want both routers setup to do both the bead and cove
          all at one time. Tricky but it works great if your makeing alot of
          strips.

          > Let me know what your plans are. I've been making strips for 10
          years and have made several machines to do so. The one I have now
          works great. I designed it on a napkin in an airplane one day.

          > Eric
          > Rainbow Boat Works
          > www.rainbowboats.com

          Eric: please make a copy of your napkin and post it on this site so
          we can see how you did it!
          JR
        • gevannos1
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
            Well the napkin is long gone but this weekend I'll draft up a plan for
            my strip machine and post it. It is the second generation machine. I
            donated the first one to a high school program for troubled kids that
            was going to build boats as a way of keeping the on an even keel.

            My wife found a leather bound book of graph paper in a book store so I
            no longer need the napkins. Great find by her.

            Eric
            Rainbow Boat Works

            --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "J. R. Sloan" <jr_sloan@m...>
            wrote:

            > --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "gevannos1" <eric@r...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Are you looking to make alot of strips?
            > > Ideally you want both routers setup to do both the bead and cove
            > all at one time. Tricky but it works great if your makeing alot of
            > strips.
            > >
            > > Let me know what your plans are. I've been making strips for 10
            > years and have made several machines to do so. The one I have now
            > works great. I designed it on a napkin in an airplane one day.
            > >
            > > Eric
            > > Rainbow Boat Works
            > > www.rainbowboats.com
            > >
            > Eric: please make a copy of your napkin and post it on this site so
            > we can see how you did it!
            > JR
          • gevannos1
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
              i haven't forgotten folks, just real busy.

              Eric