Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] (unknown)

  • J. R. Sloan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2004
      I agree with ofmik that those two firms are good ones. Another good
      selection can be had at www.grizzly.com, the Grizzly Tools site; they
      offer two levels of carbide router bits, allowing you to
      choose "regular" or "Professional" grades of cutters. You decide
      whether you might want to do more than one canoe, once you get the
      proposed one out of the way (though, honestly, any well-cared-for
      carbide bits in cedar should last a long time).

      Now might be a good time to go back through the past-messages file on
      this site and review some discussions about which sized bits members
      use for milling strips at their home shops. Arguments have been made
      for using 3/8" bit profiles, the commercial "canoe bit" 1/4" bead-
      and-cove setup, diagonal strip edges, and no machining on strips at
      all.

      To recap the discussion on router bits:
      --Some of us have used 3/8" profiled bits rather than the 1/4"
      profiles in order to avoid splitting off (during glue-up) the fine
      edges that the 1/4" cove profile creates on each strip.
      --Using the 3/8" bit (since no matched sets are available) gets you
      to buying individual bits, which turn out to be quite a bit cheaper
      than the specialized "canoe sets" offered.
      --The conventional bits have lots of other uses in the router-
      oriented shop.

      --The drawback to the 3/8" approach is the need to create special
      jigs (or router table setups on the fence), because the cove bit (in
      the 3/8" version) is typically a vertically-oriented bit. The
      1/4" "canoe" cove bit is about 1" wide, with the cutter on the
      outside edge, so the profile is cut with the strip lying flat on the
      router table, as is the cut made by its matching bead cutter.

      --On the plus side, using 3/8" bits reduces the fragility of the cove
      surface, avoiding much splintering which complicates glue-up and
      finishing. It also offers a broader exposed arc at the glue joint,
      making edges on the steeper curves a little easier to match, while
      still covering gaps at the flatter surfaces.

      Take a look at the user arguments and make your chioice...

      JR

      -- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, ofmik <ofmik@y...> wrote:
      > Try LeeValley Tools or Noah's Marine. Either one will carry them
      (commonly called canoe bits) and should cost around $50 Can. Both
      have websites.....

      > www.leevalley.com
      > www.noahsmarine.com
      >
      > Lee Valley has excellent quality and no quibble warranties. Hope
      this helps!

      > Tim <oneribshy@m...> wrote:
      > I was wondering where the best place would be to buy bead and cove
      > bits would be? Also would carbide be the way to go? Hope someone
      can
      > help? Tim
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.