Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Followup to Launching: Firecracker

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 8:36 AM
      Sounds like a great time, JR! Thanks for providing an
      opportunity for some kids to play in Firecracker. I
      believe the best way to get adults enthusiastic about
      paddling is to let them play in boats as kids.

      As for me, I typically put them in a boat and shove
      them off into the water. I have found that a kayak
      paddle seems to work best for them as they sometimes
      forget about switching sides. I have put kids as
      young as 3 and 4 into a small kayak and let them play
      in the shallow areas. Just pick a place well
      protected from wind and waves. Don't forget the life
      vest, and make sure there is a rescue boat available!
      (or you can wade to the boat anywhere they may drift
      off to).

      As for me, I just picked up the plywood for a stitch
      and glue Wee Lassie style solo boat. Might even get
      it put together in the next couple weeks unless I am
      out on the river! Just got back from a trip with the
      paddling club on one of the steeper rivers flowing
      into Lake Superior.

      Keeping the open side up!

      Jon

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • J. R. Sloan
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14 9:12 PM
        --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Jon <ssnvet637@y...> wrote:
        > Sounds like a great time, JR!...I just picked up the plywood for a
        stitch and glue Wee Lassie style solo boat...Keeping the open side up!
        Jon

        Thanks for the reply, Jon. If the group is interested, I just posted
        some pictures of Firecracker as a "strip canoe alternative" in the
        FILES section.

        JR
      • Dan Harriman
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17 8:17 AM
          Hello JR et al;

          I just went to the files area and looked at your photos of 'Firecracker'.
          It sure looks like a very good beginner canoe. I think that I will try one
          of those before I start an actual stripper. Even I could probably make one
          of those! LOL

          You mentioned that the sides have a negative curve to take out the natural
          rocker. Do you mean that the bottom of the sides are curved so that the
          bottom is higher in the water than the ends? If so, that is to compensate
          for the weight of the canoist?

          Thanks for sharing the photos with us. It is a nice looking pirogue/canoe.

          Dan Harriman
          Orange, Texas
          snip
          > If the group is interested, I just posted
          >some pictures of Firecracker as a "strip canoe alternative" in the
          >FILES section.
          >
          >JR

          Proud member of QRP-ARCI # 9126; QRP-L # 431; ARS # 25; FISTS # 1572;
          QRPp-l # 702; 1010 Int.; FP # 555; SOC # 569; NETXQRP # 45; ARRL; ARRL-VE;
          AMQRP; RU-QRP # 43; MQFD # 5; grid EM30cc
          -
          If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try
          sky-diving! dit dit
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17 9:01 PM
            Pretty neat JR.
          • J. R. Sloan
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22 2:29 PM
              --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Dan Harriman <kc5gxl@s...>
              wrote:
              Even I could probably make one of those! LOL

              JR: Yup--Pretty simple project!

              You mentioned that the sides have a negative curve to take out the
              natural rocker. Do you mean that the bottom of the sides are curved
              so that the bottom is higher in the water than the ends? If so, that
              is to compensate for the weight of the canoist?

              JR: The side panels in the plan are something like 15'-6" by 18"
              (though I did some REAL CLOSE trimming and raised the sides up to 20-
              1/4" at each stem. But on the plan, there is a negative curve from
              the bottom of each stem to the other that maxes out at 1-3/8" at the
              center of each side panel.

              If each of the panels were 18" for their full length (no negative
              curve), after the sides were stitched to the bottom, there would be
              about 2" of rocker on the bottom. This would be desirable in a one-
              person canoe (for example) that was to be used in a rapid stream,
              because one effect of rocker in a small boat is to reduce the lateral
              resistance of the extreme bow or stern: it makes the boat more
              maneuverable, easier to turn, so as to avoid rapids, rocks and so
              on...

              The effect of this amount of negative curve (when you apply flare to
              the gunwhales), is to make the bottom flat. In this case (the
              pirogue-style craft) the boat is more likely to encounter shallow
              water, so keeping the bottom as flat as possible helps to spread
              total weight over more area and reduces draft.

              JR Sloan