Followup to Launching: Firecracker

  • J. R. Sloan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
      Took Firecracker out to the local big reservoir (Lake Spokane,
      aka "Long Lake", about ten miles north of Spokane. Very simple
      transport: used copper pipe foam insulation tubes (sort of like
      those "nerf noodles" kids use in swimming pools) as padding for the
      gunwhales, strapped the boatto the back of the pickup and off I went.
      Launching was uneventful: picked up the boat, carried it to the
      launch, asked a little girl if I could step over her towel to get to
      the water, and set the boat in the water.

      Firecracker weighs about 28 lbs, easy one-man-carry. Draws about an
      inch of water empty.

      Getting in for a 200-lb so-yr-old was a little dicey, but once I got
      my personal transom onto the bottom, things smoothed out a little.

      A 14-foot flat-bottomed canoe with 24" width lends new meaning to the
      term "Tippecanoe". Especially to the uninitiated to the world of
      kayaks and pirogues. However, once I got the gymbals in my hips
      oiled up and moving, I found the going very smooth and easy. I spent
      about four hours paddling about in the deeps and shallows, got some
      compliments about the shiny red paint job, and finally got the hang
      of paddling against the current and wind that came up.

      All in all, a very easy first launch.

      Next day, I took my granddaughter and wife to another lake to visit
      with some other kids, and took Firecracker along. Turns out it's an
      ideal boat for two or three young kids to play in all day, as long as
      they don't take the new paint job over the shallow rocks. They had a
      great time, and I got to put on a couple of new coats of paint when
      we got home.

      Hope this letter finds you all hard at work on your next stripper
      projects...best wishes,
      JR
    • Jon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
        Sounds like a great time, JR! Thanks for providing an
        opportunity for some kids to play in Firecracker. I
        believe the best way to get adults enthusiastic about
        paddling is to let them play in boats as kids.

        As for me, I typically put them in a boat and shove
        them off into the water. I have found that a kayak
        paddle seems to work best for them as they sometimes
        forget about switching sides. I have put kids as
        young as 3 and 4 into a small kayak and let them play
        in the shallow areas. Just pick a place well
        protected from wind and waves. Don't forget the life
        vest, and make sure there is a rescue boat available!
        (or you can wade to the boat anywhere they may drift
        off to).

        As for me, I just picked up the plywood for a stitch
        and glue Wee Lassie style solo boat. Might even get
        it put together in the next couple weeks unless I am
        out on the river! Just got back from a trip with the
        paddling club on one of the steeper rivers flowing
        into Lake Superior.

        Keeping the open side up!

        Jon

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • J. R. Sloan
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2004
          --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Jon <ssnvet637@y...> wrote:
          > Sounds like a great time, JR!...I just picked up the plywood for a
          stitch and glue Wee Lassie style solo boat...Keeping the open side up!
          Jon

          Thanks for the reply, Jon. If the group is interested, I just posted
          some pictures of Firecracker as a "strip canoe alternative" in the
          FILES section.

          JR
        • Dan Harriman
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2004
            Hello JR et al;

            I just went to the files area and looked at your photos of 'Firecracker'.
            It sure looks like a very good beginner canoe. I think that I will try one
            of those before I start an actual stripper. Even I could probably make one
            of those! LOL

            You mentioned that the sides have a negative curve to take out the natural
            rocker. Do you mean that the bottom of the sides are curved so that the
            bottom is higher in the water than the ends? If so, that is to compensate
            for the weight of the canoist?

            Thanks for sharing the photos with us. It is a nice looking pirogue/canoe.

            Dan Harriman
            Orange, Texas
            snip
            > If the group is interested, I just posted
            >some pictures of Firecracker as a "strip canoe alternative" in the
            >FILES section.
            >
            >JR

            Proud member of QRP-ARCI # 9126; QRP-L # 431; ARS # 25; FISTS # 1572;
            QRPp-l # 702; 1010 Int.; FP # 555; SOC # 569; NETXQRP # 45; ARRL; ARRL-VE;
            AMQRP; RU-QRP # 43; MQFD # 5; grid EM30cc
            -
            If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try
            sky-diving! dit dit
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2004
              Pretty neat JR.
            • J. R. Sloan
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2004
                --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, Dan Harriman <kc5gxl@s...>
                wrote:
                Even I could probably make one of those! LOL

                JR: Yup--Pretty simple project!

                You mentioned that the sides have a negative curve to take out the
                natural rocker. Do you mean that the bottom of the sides are curved
                so that the bottom is higher in the water than the ends? If so, that
                is to compensate for the weight of the canoist?

                JR: The side panels in the plan are something like 15'-6" by 18"
                (though I did some REAL CLOSE trimming and raised the sides up to 20-
                1/4" at each stem. But on the plan, there is a negative curve from
                the bottom of each stem to the other that maxes out at 1-3/8" at the
                center of each side panel.

                If each of the panels were 18" for their full length (no negative
                curve), after the sides were stitched to the bottom, there would be
                about 2" of rocker on the bottom. This would be desirable in a one-
                person canoe (for example) that was to be used in a rapid stream,
                because one effect of rocker in a small boat is to reduce the lateral
                resistance of the extreme bow or stern: it makes the boat more
                maneuverable, easier to turn, so as to avoid rapids, rocks and so
                on...

                The effect of this amount of negative curve (when you apply flare to
                the gunwhales), is to make the bottom flat. In this case (the
                pirogue-style craft) the boat is more likely to encounter shallow
                water, so keeping the bottom as flat as possible helps to spread
                total weight over more area and reduces draft.

                JR Sloan