Re: Emailing: Cutting the scuppers II.jpg

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2003
      --- In cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Berling"
      <rberling@m...> wrote:
      > All: I'd like to pitch in on this topic.
      >
      > Regarding inwales out of 3/4 wide stock I would suggest using a
      wide diameter hole saw set up on a drill press to cut out curved
      scuppers every few inches (maybe 6 or 8 inches if I recall correctly)
      on center (1/2 way through the stock). It is easy to jig up for even
      spacing. You only need to skip one or more cuts to save space for
      fastening the seats, yoke and thwarts. I actually use lightweight
      5/8 stock for inwales, and I love the appearance of the curved
      scuppers.

      Sounds like an interesting method. Do you have any photos to share?

      I have used a radial-arm saw with a dado cutter. I set the dado to
      the depth of cut I want to remove and then after the first one is
      cut, I clamp a small stop block to the right of the saw blade to fix
      the distance apart I want to make the slots. I place the first slot
      in the block and cut the next one and on down the line. You can
      actually do two inwales at the same time this way. Only takes minutes.

      The measuring for locating the seats and yoke takes the most time:-)

      Nels.
    • kinikinik@shaw.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2003
        Those are both good and inventive techniques, guys. Thanks for the
        photo Richard and I'll try in my bumbling way to get into photos
        --Don