Clearwater River & Graphite bottoms

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
      Nels,

      The black bottoms on my kayaks and canoes is indeed graphite. To
      protect the delicate nature of the cedar strip hulls, I use a second
      layer of 6 oz cloth saturated with epoxy/graphite (10% graphite
      powder to each batch of resin). It takes 3-4 coats of this to build
      up a tough finish that will slide over most rocky surfaces without
      damage.

      The only exception is limestone; it stays sharp underwater (unlike
      granite). Twice on the Clearwater I managed to get eaten by the
      river; both times the limestone rocks gouged and sliced through the
      graphite and glass. If these areas had been simply glass/epoxy, I am
      certain the hull would have suffered extensive damage.

      Overall, this teatment is very effective; most of the time rocks and
      gravel bars barely marks the hull. This also makes the hull slicker
      and faster; well worth the small weight gain and effort.

      The Clearwater is a wild and pristine river (about 300 km)that starts
      out in the Canadian Shield country of granite, sand with jackpine,
      willow and poplar (from Llyod Lake down to Red Rock Canyon Falls),
      then melds into the Boreal Forest country of limestone, clay with
      spruce, poplar and balsam. Throughout Saskatchewan, it is protected
      and completely uninhabited by whites or natives making it a true
      wilderness experience.

      The Clearwater has numerous rapids (class 2-4) and three sets of
      falls. We went in mid July and found the water levels very high with
      a very fast current.

      Many of the rapids that would normally be run had to be portaged or
      at least run empty due to the volume and speed of the water. This was
      my first time paddling a canoe solo down any river, and this was the
      first trip my new Prospector 16' stripper has ever made. Both my
      partners (Ted [76] & Axel [63])are well seasoned canoeists who helped
      me tremendously in getting through many tough spots.

      Out of the 10 days on the river, we made at least 1-3 portages daily.
      The upper river had the worst portages; most were no more than game
      trails, while some were well defined and clear.

      Overall, this is a spectacular river with some of the most beautiful
      wilderness I have seen. There is an abundance of moose, bear,
      wolves, beaver, muskrat, bald eagles and carribou. Northern Pike and
      Pickerel can be caught wherever there is a hole or back eddy. Axel
      ate fresh fish almost daily.

      While not for the novice or weak, the Clearwater is beautiful,
      challenging and well worth the effort; I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
        Hey John,

        Thanks for sharing your canoeing experience with the graphite coating
        added to the canoes and also your trip down the Clearwater.

        For you dreamers out there, here is a couple links about the area:

        http://www.chrs.ca/Rivers/Clearwater/Clearwater_e.htm

        http://users.skynet.be/Koen_Maertens/North_America/Canada/clearwater/c
        learwater.html

        I have seen the river and flown over it but have never canoed it.
        Would love to do so one of these years. I live in southern Sask, and
        have the capability to get up to Lloyd Lake since I have a canoe
        trailer and a 1 ton diesel van to pull it:-) Ahem, I hate to admit it
        but I also have a Royalex canoe:-(

        Cheers, Nels