Seat Caning Part 1

  • iron_eddy
    Message 1 of 716 , Feb 22, 2000
      One things for sure. You can pull the plastic
      cane too hard and it will snap. Some precautions to
      take before caning: 1) lightly countersink the holes
      on both sides of the seat frame. This is done before
      the varnish is applied. The edge of a hole that's not
      countersunk does have a sharp edge. It could prematurely saw
      thru the plastic cane. <br> 2) Run a drill bit thru
      the caning holes when the varnishing stage of the
      seat making process is completed. Use a drill bit that
      is 1/64" smaller than what the actual hole size is.
      After applying several coats, the varnish builds up
      inside of the caning holes...kind of like hardening of
      the arteries. This build up is usually irregular and
      random and may produce more sharp edges. Get rid of it.
      Message 716 of 716 , Mar 24, 2002